Verizon's FiOS-Optimized 802.11N Router Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
About god dam time....the actiontec is a POS

These (gigabit ethernet and wireless n) should have both been in the original model...

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Just curious, can any one with FiOS post their Speedtest.net results? I'm interested in seeing if Verizon,et al actually delivers all of this bandwidth.

mr_chen

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Linksys WRT160NL or ASUS WL-520gU, both routers are supported by dd-wrt. dd-wrt is a much better firmware than what comes by default with routers. I do prefer 3rd party firmware for router (either dd-wrt, tomato, openwrt).

ASUS WL-520gU is very interesting because it's very cheap and you can configure as a wireless printer server for usb printer.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I have the FIOS lowest tier offering which is claimed to be 15 down 5 up. I just did a speedtest.net test. My results were 15.33 up and 5.4 down.

So shadow in my experience yes verizon does deliver the bandwidth claimed.

RySean

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Apple Airport Extreme. For sure. Also, I really wish I had FIOS in my area... I have ATT Uverse's fastest offering (18 mpbs). But sometimes it's not enough, lol.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I use an old Compaq Prolient server running Clark Connect for a router. Offering fully proxy with content filtering and antivirus, OpenVPN, Intrustion detection, Fileshares, UPnP meida server, and anything else I want to run on it. It has a gigabit ethernet card plus the the on board fast ethernet which hooks to my u-verse residental gateway is set to full DMZ to it. I can't wait for FiOS cause I'm only getting 18Mbs by 1.5Mbs and the latancy is higher then my old cable modem.

I have a Linksys router but only use it for a bridge form wired to wireless, because it is more cost effetive then just an access point.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I have FIOS here in Tampa 25/25 and it's been the best thing since sliced bread. I'm able to get as rated speeds 24/7.

I don't really care about the N because I don't have any N devices, but it's still nice to see them progressing anyway.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]This is for th 25/20 plan: http://www.speedtest.net/result/784834509.png[/citation]
Thank you. Good to know you are getting most out of it.[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]I have FIOS here in Tampa 25/25 and it's been the best thing since sliced bread. I'm able to get as rated speeds 24/7.I don't really care about the N because I don't have any N devices, but it's still nice to see them progressing anyway.[/citation]
Thank you too.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, I get an average of 16/1. I'm on copper with Shaw (Canadian). Though I am paying $50/month for it.
I've gotten 25mb/s before, but that's because my ISP was upgrading the equipment in the area and forgot to cap me. =D
Though my ISP doesn't offer any plan with any realistic upload speeds (however, they are torrent friendly, and even have recommend utorrent settings on their site, granted recommending you don't seed at all).

I had to pay $150 to get a dual band N gigabit router though. I want one supplied for me. =(
The signal on my Dlink DIR-825 travels quite a distance, but the actual transfer speeds are quite low, even on 5GHz with the device a foot away.

G

FiOS is not available in my state, but (ironically) I work for Verizon in their Fiber Solution Center (fancy name for tech support). Verizon's hardware is actually pretty dang good most of the time. The Verizon-supplied routers are required for anyone with a MoCA (Media over Coax) systems or if they have TV services as well. The router has a coax connection on it that allows it to connect to the STBs (outdated Motorola boxes with really bad firmware installed, in my opinion) so that it can receive guide information, video on demand, and a widgets feature (which are all provided through the internet).

My complaint against Verizon isn't its hardware, but rather the software (and websites). The vast majority of problems that people have with Verizon FiOS services come not from the hardware, but from the software that runs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.