Very old crappy laptop gaming

zepheniahmann

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
I would like to share my gaming experience on my very old laptop.
It is a Lenovo y530 (2006/2007?) It has a Pentium t4200 @ 2.0ghz and a nvidia 9300m gs (256mb vram) and 3gb of ram
It can barely play any game or actually running the game. I have some gameplay stats here:
Minecraft average fps:40
Portal 2 & Euro truck sim average fps: 15-20
GTA IV average fps:7-9
Although I have msi afterburner & game booster, only games like minecraft can benefit (average @ 80 fps)
That's why I am hoping to buy a new gaming desktop at the end of the year
But for now what can I do to increase my game fps?
Will attaching a pci-e graphics card might help? Maybe I should just slam a gtx970 (the gpu I will be building with) to my current laptop

JayCee993

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Not possible, the only way to upgrade that laptop from the current state is to chuck some RAM at it, unless the processor isn't soldered you wont be able to upgrade that either.

Jason

That won't help for 2 reasons:

1. I don't think that is possible unless you have a port that allows external graphics cards to be attached which I hardly doubt.

2. Even if 1 was possible it would throttle a lot as the cpu and ram would hold it back.

Black_Plague

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Upgrading that "crap" would be useless and expensive. I think it has ddr2 ram which is not compabitable with ddr3 ram. while ddr2 ram is expensive and even upgrading wouldnt help much.. I think you should save money for a new computer instead of upgrading this.
This will keep getting worse and worse over time.