very stable notebook for my mother

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hey, there,

I'm looking for a laptop for my mom that's, well, stable. I've got an hp
pavilion zt1180 myself, which is a decent machine but it needs a fair bit of
TLC; it'll crash, have trouble with hardware, etc.--- I can fix all that for
my machine, but I don't want to put my mom through that. So...

What's the most dependable brand out there? Something that doesn't require
much or any hardware expertise to use?

Thanks for any advice,

Graham Charles
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Graham Charles" <graham@aiid.com> wrote in message
news:W%Rjd.39816$QJ3.15515@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Hey, there,
>
> I'm looking for a laptop for my mom that's, well, stable. I've got an hp
> pavilion zt1180 myself, which is a decent machine but it needs a fair bit
of
> TLC; it'll crash, have trouble with hardware, etc.--- I can fix all that
for
> my machine, but I don't want to put my mom through that. So...
>
> What's the most dependable brand out there? Something that doesn't require
> much or any hardware expertise to use?

I'd suggest buying a brand that has a quick and easy replacement mechanism
when things go wrong.
I've heard that the bes brands for this are Dell, IBM and Toshiba, tho you
may have to kick in for optional warranty.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

None of them.

If anyone still makes them, look to buy her an internet appliance rather
than a laptop.

We bought my mother-in-law an I-opener, and she *loved* it because it never
needed any maintenance; but unfortunately, they went out of business.

Please let me know if you do find one as I might decide to buy my own mother
one.

Chip

"Graham Charles" <graham@aiid.com> wrote in message
news:W%Rjd.39816$QJ3.15515@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Hey, there,
>
> I'm looking for a laptop for my mom that's, well, stable. I've got an hp
> pavilion zt1180 myself, which is a decent machine but it needs a fair bit
> of
> TLC; it'll crash, have trouble with hardware, etc.--- I can fix all that
> for
> my machine, but I don't want to put my mom through that. So...
>
> What's the most dependable brand out there? Something that doesn't require
> much or any hardware expertise to use?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Graham Charles
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon 08 Nov 2004 05:00:22p, Graham Charles wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> I'm looking for a laptop for my mom that's, well, stable. I've got an
> hp pavilion zt1180 myself, which is a decent machine but it needs a
> fair bit of TLC; it'll crash, have trouble with hardware, etc.--- I
> can fix all that for my machine, but I don't want to put my mom
> through that. So...
>
> What's the most dependable brand out there? Something that doesn't
> require much or any hardware expertise to use?

What's Mom's comfort/expertise level with computers? What is she going to
do with it? The reason I ask is that Macs have a reputation for being warm
and friendly to use, yet are extremely powerful if you need them to be.
However, in some subject areas, there's a lot more software available in
the WinWorld. They also tend to run a few bucks more expensive. But I'd
seriously consider an iBook.

Otherwise, I personally like (and use) IBM. If she doesn't need the latest
and greatest, IBM has a store on ebay selling refurbs and end-of-product-
cycle units at a fairly reasonable price.

http://stores.ebay.com/IBM-Authorized-Auctions
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm not a Mac guy, but my daughter got an iBook. The good thing about
iBooks here in Dallas is that their walk-in retail store service is great.
They fix a lot of minor settings and software problems for free while you
watch. And that's the good thing about a laptop--you can carry it in.
Whatever you get for her, get it from a local store that will support it
with good walk-in service.


"Joe Makowiec" <webmaster@munged.brunswicklibrary.org> wrote in message
news:Xns959BC5A7D97D0makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.167...
> On Mon 08 Nov 2004 05:00:22p, Graham Charles wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
>
>> I'm looking for a laptop for my mom that's, well, stable. I've got an
>> hp pavilion zt1180 myself, which is a decent machine but it needs a
>> fair bit of TLC; it'll crash, have trouble with hardware, etc.--- I
>> can fix all that for my machine, but I don't want to put my mom
>> through that. So...
>>
>> What's the most dependable brand out there? Something that doesn't
>> require much or any hardware expertise to use?
>
> What's Mom's comfort/expertise level with computers? What is she going to
> do with it? The reason I ask is that Macs have a reputation for being
> warm
> and friendly to use, yet are extremely powerful if you need them to be.
> However, in some subject areas, there's a lot more software available in
> the WinWorld. They also tend to run a few bucks more expensive. But I'd
> seriously consider an iBook.
>
> Otherwise, I personally like (and use) IBM. If she doesn't need the
> latest
> and greatest, IBM has a store on ebay selling refurbs and end-of-product-
> cycle units at a fairly reasonable price.
>
> http://stores.ebay.com/IBM-Authorized-Auctions
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:03:56 -0500 "Chip Orange"
used 34 lines of text to write in newsgroup: comp.sys.laptops

>If anyone still makes them, look to buy her an internet appliance rather
>than a laptop.
>
>We bought my mother-in-law an I-opener, and she *loved* it because it never
>needed any maintenance; but unfortunately, they went out of business.
>
>Please let me know if you do find one as I might decide to buy my own mother
>one.

Web TV?

http://www.webtv.com/pc/

You can hack that Iopener:

http://www.adamlotz.com/iopener.html


--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 

Andrew

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
487
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Graham Charles <graham@aiid.com> wrote:
: Hey, there,

: I'm looking for a laptop for my mom that's, well, stable. I've got an hp
: pavilion zt1180 myself, which is a decent machine but it needs a fair bit of
: TLC; it'll crash, have trouble with hardware, etc.--- I can fix all that for
: my machine, but I don't want to put my mom through that. So...

: What's the most dependable brand out there? Something that doesn't require
: much or any hardware expertise to use?

Your old machine most likely had Windows ME or 98 on it? Most new
Windows notebooks with Windows XP are very stable and reliable, I
would guess. I have a Toshiba Satellite that is extremely solid - I
would recommend it to anyone, including my mom.

If you live in the states, consider getting a laptop at Costco, who
has a no-questions-asked 6-month return policy. They won't fix the
laptop, but if you find in three months it is not right for your mom
just take it back for a refund.

The iBook suggestion is probably a good one, too.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Joe Makowiec" <webmaster@munged.brunswicklibrary.org> wrote in message
news:Xns959BC5A7D97D0makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.167...
> On Mon 08 Nov 2004 05:00:22p, Graham Charles wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
>
> > I'm looking for a laptop for my mom that's, well, stable. I've got an
> > hp pavilion zt1180 myself, which is a decent machine but it needs a
> > fair bit of TLC; it'll crash, have trouble with hardware, etc.--- I
> > can fix all that for my machine, but I don't want to put my mom
> > through that. So...
> >
> > What's the most dependable brand out there? Something that doesn't
> > require much or any hardware expertise to use?
>
> What's Mom's comfort/expertise level with computers? What is she going to
> do with it? The reason I ask is that Macs have a reputation for being
warm
> and friendly to use, yet are extremely powerful if you need them to be.
> However, in some subject areas, there's a lot more software available in
> the WinWorld. They also tend to run a few bucks more expensive. But I'd
> seriously consider an iBook.
>
> Otherwise, I personally like (and use) IBM. If she doesn't need the
latest
> and greatest, IBM has a store on ebay selling refurbs and end-of-product-
> cycle units at a fairly reasonable price.
>
> http://stores.ebay.com/IBM-Authorized-Auctions


Somewhat OT, but she had a PowerBook until recently. She put OSX on it and
it began to crash regularly, none of her old software worked, and nearly
everything was harder to use. I also have two teenage friends with iMacs,
both of which seem to play very not-nicely with hardware: installing a
printer on one was near impossible, and AirPort cards were completely out of
the question.

My impression from the Macs I've come into contact with recently is that
they've started to emulate Windows in one annoying respect: whereas they
used to be nearly impossible to crash, now they're largely unstable. Maybe
it's an OSX thing, but I don't think I'll be recommending a Mac for her, all
the same.

g.
 

ME

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
506
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:


>
>As I said, my Toshiba Satellite has been rock-solid in the 18 months
>I've had it. I would recommend it to anyone. This model (1415) is
>about two years old now however.
>

I would second that, I got a Toshiba 6100 for my Mum with XP Pro on it. It
has worked perfectly for months now connecting to the Internet, running
Skype, Opera, The Bat and Norton AV, ZoneAlarm.

As you can see I also tried to keep her out of trouble with Virus problem
by not using any of the MS offerings.

All of the drivers were as they came from Toshiba with nothing tweaked
changed or otherwise fiddled with.

Andy
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"G. Morgan" <alarmprosnail@snailgmail.com> wrote in message
news:41977cee.12907009@schoolofhardknocks.edu...
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:03:56 -0500 "Chip Orange"
> used 34 lines of text to write in newsgroup: comp.sys.laptops
>
>>If anyone still makes them, look to buy her an internet appliance rather
>>than a laptop.
>>
>>We bought my mother-in-law an I-opener, and she *loved* it because it
>>never
>>needed any maintenance; but unfortunately, they went out of business.
>>
>>Please let me know if you do find one as I might decide to buy my own
>>mother
>>one.
>
> Web TV?
>
> http://www.webtv.com/pc/
>
> You can hack that Iopener:
>
> http://www.adamlotz.com/iopener.html
>
>
> --
> -Graham
>
> Remove the 'snails' from my email

Thanks for the response, but the screen resolution for the WebTV is so bad
as to be virtually unusable, and I have no wish to make a pc out of the
I-opener (I do wish someone had a hack for allowing it to work with any ISP
service, that would be nice, without having to make into a pc to do so).
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mlando2607 Laptop General Discussion 0
sammin Laptop General Discussion 0
E Laptop General Discussion 3
Mr. Colgate Laptop General Discussion 1
Czwe Malavies Laptop General Discussion 1
sammin Laptop General Discussion 2
B Laptop General Discussion 0
D Laptop General Discussion 0
H Laptop General Discussion 0
A Laptop General Discussion 1
F Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 1
E Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 1
W Laptop General Discussion 4
H Laptop General Discussion 1
K Laptop General Discussion 6
L Laptop General Discussion 4

ASK THE COMMUNITY