VIA Merges Netbook, Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Flawless HD playback? Don't we already have small notebooks that do that? Are they intending for these new machines to be inexpensive? Otherwise we would just buy full blown notebooks. But if you want one of these to play back HD video, where are you going to put the disk in, since they don't contain players? Are you going to rely on streaming HD over the net? Good luck with that.

G

Via must probably mean Linux OS, or does the latest Windows 7 supports via CPU chips?

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Via must probably mean Linux OS, or does the latest Windows 7 supports via CPU chips?[/citation]

VIA chips are x86 chips. They should run Win 7, though I don't know about the drivers for the rest of the system :D. Anyway VIA is a bit behind in finding its niche between netbook and notebook. Some of the earlier netbooks were powered by VIA CPUs by the way.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
It'd be great if there were some other companies that could get into the bigtime with CPUs or GPUs. It seems silly to be stuck with either intel or AMD and either nVidia or ATI. At least AMD is sticking around.

And yeah, I know that for CPU's the x86 stuff is limited to the companies that got the rights to make them at about the same time AMD did. I would think if a new player wanted to get involved they could buy one of the smaller companies that still has those rights.

tiga2001

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Why does VIA still make C7-M processors, do they have excess inventory or something? Besides that, competition is always welcome. Hopefully, these new "netnotes" use newer and faster Via Nano processors that can compete with Intel ULV, otherwise, I don't see any manufacturer picking their chips over Intel.

Rust In Peace

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
FFS! I'm so bored of companies attempting to sub class laptops for marketing purposes. It's a freaking laptop whatever way you cut it!

G

Was it true that the Via chips only use single core processors (without something similar to hyperthreading)?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]tiga2001[/nom]Why does VIA still make C7-M processors, do they have excess inventory or something? [/citation]
C7's run cooler and lower-power than Nano. They can't match its performance, but there's still demand for the TDP to be low.

[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]Was it true that the Via chips only use single core processors (without something similar to hyperthreading)?[/citation]
As far as I know there isn't any dual-core Nano available.

And on the Graphics side, since VIA basically owns S3, it reminds me that they released a new line of Chrome 500 cards over the last year promising to best the competition in its price segment for media. I would have liked to see a benchmarking of it, but no such luck. I think Tom's missed a chance on that one since nobody else was reporting on the actual rather than claimed performance.

tiga2001

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]And on the Graphics side, since VIA basically owns S3, it reminds me that they released a new line of Chrome 500 cards over the last year promising to best the competition in its price segment for media.[/citation]
Yeah, I was hoping for the Chrome 500's to do well, but I guess it's hard for S3 and Via to compete against ati and nvidia, especially since ati has been so agressive in cutting prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.