VIA Wants iPad, iPhone Banned in USA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]dresendez@gmailcom[/nom]its unfortunate because:"The Delaware Court is supposedly known as a "plaintiff-friendly region," similar to the Eastern District Federal Court of Texas."You may want to finish reading before commenting...[/citation]
?? I dont follow... or are you saying its unfortunate for apple? Plaintiff-friendly region would imply that they would favor VIA over apple.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
No Intel will sue Via for patent infringment, base on that patent every current microprocessor would be infringing. We don't need more stupid lawsuits. I would bet money Via doesn't get a dime, in fact I will bet that Apple will now sue the H**l out of them!

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]dresendez@gmailcom[/nom]its unfortunate because:"The Delaware Court is supposedly known as a "plaintiff-friendly region," similar to the Eastern District Federal Court of Texas."You may want to finish reading before commenting...[/citation]

right, unfortunate for Apple, and the author seems biased. It should have been a simple statement of fact. You do know what a plaintiff is right?

G

Woohoo!!! finally, a company that's gonna take Apple down this time. I'm sick of Apple and their proprietary hardware OS too.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The German courts agreed with the fruity iPad developer
Did Kevin just cleverly call Apple 'gay' there?

If these are microprocessor-related patent violations, how do they only apply to Apple? Apple designed its A4 and A5 (licensed ARM designs) processors, so there has to be something specific to Apple's modification of the base ARM CPU design that VIA has issue with. Otherwise, VIA should be suing ARM and all ARM CPU manufacturers, including: Samsung, Texas Instruments, Broadcomm, Matsushita, and any other ARM Cortex-licensed manufacturers.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]If these are microprocessor-related patent violations, how do they only apply to Apple? Apple designed its A4 and A5 (licensed ARM designs) processors, so there has to be something specific to Apple's modification of the base ARM CPU design that VIA has issue with. Otherwise, VIA should be suing ARM and all ARM CPU manufacturers, including: Samsung, Texas Instruments, Broadcomm, Matsushita, and any other ARM Cortex-licensed manufacturers.[/citation]
ARM may have permission from via.....
and GO VIA!!!!!sue that Rotten Apple!

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Haha! Now everyone is doing it. We have to get used to living like an Amish soon.[/citation]
no we wont, the Amish probably have a patent for their way of life :p

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
IF Apple is in violation then all ARM based devices would have to be in violation also. If it was something all other manufacturers were paying for from VIA they would have stated so and asked that Apple pay also.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Did Kevin just cleverly call Apple 'gay' there?If these are microprocessor-related patent violations, how do they only apply to Apple? Apple designed its A4 and A5 (licensed ARM designs) processors, so there has to be something specific to Apple's modification of the base ARM CPU design that VIA has issue with. Otherwise, VIA should be suing ARM and all ARM CPU manufacturers, including: Samsung, Texas Instruments, Broadcomm, Matsushita, and any other ARM Cortex-licensed manufacturers.[/citation]
It's a watchdog move, there are certain companies in most industries who hold very important patents but allow everyone to use them basically for free, but they tend to watch to see who is not playing nice and will pull rank on them when it happens. Some of the companies I know of are MS, Qualcomm, IBM, they will allow crucial IP to be used for free since they are needed but will use their power to put down companies who turn into bullies. Seems VIA either is one of these companies or got the go ahead from another such company to go after Apple for all these stupid lawsuits trying to get any successful competition banned.

G

"I don't know how many companies it'd take to whoop Apple's butt, but I can guess how many are gonna try..."

and the answer is, "All of 'em!"

haha you know this from good old Tater Salad.

amd-fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
how about everyone just makes the best product they can make with no legal restrictions and let the customer decide what to buy? no? not the western way of life? didn't think so.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I really think patents need a massive overhaul, but I'm glad when douchebags like Apple get their comeuppance too.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
What they desire simply isn't going to happen even if they are in the complete right to.
I have no doubt they will get money and likely through a settlement in which Apple will admit no wrong doing but put a gag order on the amount. Even if VIA did somehow resist the temptation of the settlement they would only get the same result in court if not a lesser desirable one.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]And banning the sale of samsung products isn't?[/citation]
It seems if Apple wasn't such a success story or an American company, then they would be treated the same as the rest...
For some reason they get special treatment to these things.

If VIA wins this settlement and gets a hold on sales, I got one question for Apple:
How does the medicine taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.