Video Camera that can save directly to PC while recording

ljcool_17

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I'd like to ask is there such a thing as a video camera, or a still camera, that can record videos and save it directly to a connected pc? Like while I'm recording I'll have it connected to a laptop and it'll save to the laptop instead of having to transfer it after recording so that I'll be able to view the video immediately?

ljcool_17

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
But I'm kind of looking for something a bit better than a webcam. Also without using a capture device coz you could simply use the hdmi out of the camera and connect it to something like an avermedia before connecting it to your computer. I'm just wondering if there is a DSLR or Video Camera that can do such a thing.

You can get a capture card for your pc and then some camera recording software like blueiris or ispy to record your capture stream.
What capture card you need depends on what interface (cable) you use from camera to PC. The typical today would likely be hdmi.
The capture card may even include software with it for recording.

You can get a wifi enabled SD card for your regular camera and then access the file as soon as you stop recording.

Im not sure what other mystical unicorn option you are looking for.

You can either get a high resolution webcam or IP security camera and have it record to PC, or get a capture card and record the input from a normal camera.

ljcool_17

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Nothing too mystical, but the wifi sd card sure sounds like a good solution. I just need something where I could view the recorded file immediately because it will used on the field and I thought if there is a way to have the camera save the file directly to my laptop the better.

Stuart48

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I am a freelance photographer and what I do for stills is tether the camera to my laptop, via hdmi cable.Images can be viewed and saved straight away. CCLOnline sell an abundance of cables at very good prices

Stuart48

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

I dont generally do much Cam/video recording but:

If your camera has HDMI, then I would say yes. I just did a quick test on my desk top and TV recording also my laptop running windows 8.1 works fine with windows media.

Adrian1906

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
I too am interested in an HD camera with this capability. Right now, my Canon Vixia HR200 can only save to an SD card. I can send the video to my computer via HDMI however saving is difficult. It would be ideal if there was an option to save to a folder on my laptop instead of the SD card.

About EyeFi wireless transfer...

I have an early version of the EyeFi card that I purchased for use w/ my DSLR many years ago when the company first started. The file transfers were fast however the connections was intermittent even when the router was very close. For reliability, I'd prefer a tethered solution. I'll take another stab at it and post what I find.

A list of cameras that have this capability would be appreciated.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I have a couple of Eye-Fi's, and have zero connection issues. Probably a later version than what you had. But 10's of thousands of pics pushed through them. The only burp was the original card died within 3 weeks of purchase. They sent a new one right away.

Stuart48

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013