video dxgkrnl fatal error windows 10

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
Ok, so I recently did a Windows Update and at about 35-50% the computer restarted as it would always do on a WU. After the windows boot logo it did not continue the windows update but it crashed with the bluescreen VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR. It did its thing and then it restarted and then the update finished normally. Two days after that it happened again while I was browsing the internet. I am not sure if this has to do anything with this error but it should be noted that the psp emulator I usually play on (ppsspp) said after the update that my graphics card did not support OpenGL which is not true because before the update it was working fine.

Thank you.

Laptop Specs
Sony Vaio SVF15N1S2ES
Cpu: Intel Core i5 4200U
Gpu: Intel HD Graphics 4400, GeForce GT 735M
RAM:8gb

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
The laptop by default it uses always the Intel Graphics except when I e.g. Right click an app (game, browser etc.) and select the nvidia gpu on the graphics processors tab. By the way I haven't tried yet the guide but I will try it now and let you know

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
So I deleted the Intel Drivers with the DDU in safe mode and downloaded the latest drivers and when I tried to install them they just failed. Second time, again failed. And then I went to install the nvidia drivers only to have the installer tell me that it couldn't find any nVidia GPU's. Please help

EDIT: Didn't see your post. I will try to post the files as soon as possible

EDIT 2:
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 13/5/2016 5:36:11 μμ GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051316-29937-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x16A966)
Bugcheck code: 0x113 (0x19, 0x2, 0x10DE, 0x1291)
Error: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72
Bug check description: This indicates that the dxg kernel has detected a violation.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

On Fri 13/5/2016 5:36:11 μμ GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x16A966)
Bug check description: This indicates that the dxg kernel has detected a violation.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.72 , NVIDIA Corporation).

On Fri 13/5/2016 1:54:20 μμ GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051316-33500-01.dmp

Colif

Distinguished
So you have no graphics drivers now? What happens if you boot into Win 10 as it should assign some to the card, windows has default Nvidia drivers. If it recognises the card it should dl updates for it.

they released new Nvidia drivers on Friday so if you can get card working, it would be good idea to get version 365. Both bsod caused by Nvidia drivers, they gone now so thats one positive, no more bsod

Not sure i like the complete lack of driver support from sony, no drivers there at all. Most makers at least have their own defaults that they know work.

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
The Intel Drivers are now working and the intel gpu is installed but the nvidia gpu is in Άλλες συσκευές and it is refered as Ελεγκτής Βίντεο 3D and it has that little orange triangle that indicates some kind of error (my pc is on greek by the way). Also I did download the latest drivers and they couldnt find an nvidia gpu and windows cant assign drivers because its refered as what I told you.

Colif

Distinguished
lol., i searched it in google and it came up with a ton od results, all in Greek.. i should have guessed.

1st one is Other devices, 2nd is not so easy to translate but i think it knows its a graphics card... little triangle is obvious since its in other devices. its missing its drivers but then Nvidia drivers can't find the card, have you tried right clicking it and selecting properties. Then driver tab and update? probably doesn't find any but worth a try.

shame Sony don't have any drivers apart from the original package that comes with laptop.

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
The only thing I believe is left is to either backup everything and use the format tool that sony has preinstalled in their recovery menu or simply refresh it. Should I try it? Also the format thing will revert it back to windows 8 because thats the os it has.

Colif

Distinguished
if you want to wait, you can use this to get the info off drive: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

don't want to lose everything if we can avoid it.

I don't know if the reset will fix it, as I don't know if Nvidia card still works. The intel worked before you restarted pc. not sure why they didn't after the restart though.

restarts on win 10 the only time pc is actually off, the shutdown is just a hibernate, so its possible that some drivers actually started up after the restart that hadn't been on before.. maybe Nvidia? but its not your main card so I will stop guessing :)

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
sony has backup tools in its reccovery menu so this is not a problem. The problem is that i dont have a usb stick or external hdd that can hold 1tb i only have a new desktop hard drive but i dont have for example an hdd dock to put the hdd and connect it through usb. I think ill just buy an external hard drive. until then i cant do anything.

Colif

Distinguished
i should buy an external drive, i have a 1tb but it doesn't work all that well and slows down the pc as it doesn't always detect, and I don't think it works anymore anyway. I use mostly cloud backups and 1 64gb ssd to hold stuff i don't want to lose. For years I was paranoid about losing all my music but now its all on google play or Onedrive, I feel less worried.

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
And also I have formatted this laptop about 4 times but then i didnt have anything important only games from steam and few apps. But now that I started actually using a camera that i bought a year ago i started taking things off the sd card and putting them into my laptop so i have more space to shoot photos and videos and i have some cracked games too that if i delete them i will lose the saves too but i dont really care about those. the sony tool just takes everything in your harddrive and copies it into a media that you have inserted. the method you showed me is useless since my laptop doesnt read ANYTHING related to OSes and when I say anything i really mean it. i think sony might have locked it

drkmn32

Commendable
May 14, 2016
So, the hard drive arrived earlier today and I will now backup the laptop and then format it and see what happens...

EDIT:The backup tool Sony provides doesnt work. I pressed Start Rescue and nothing happened it was stuck I couldnt do anything. So if you know a way to back my files up that DOES NOT include using discs it would be appreciated

EDIT 2: I called Sony because their recovery tool didnt work and then they told me to call Microsoft who then told me to use system restore but... system restore thought my hdd was broken so tech support told me to go to somenone to get the files out and probably change the hard drive. I might get an SSD because I might have actually ruined the hdd because I move my laptop a lot. :fou: