Video Game Hardware Summer Sales Slumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i almost never buy anything for video games during the summer. i meanly spend my money on skateboards and skateboard parts....

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
DSi sells strong. I just bought one. I went to the store a week before buying it and saw more than 10, when I picked mine up it was the last of 3. Those suckers sell crazy good although yeah I know it is a low end system and PSP is much better lol. Look at PSP sales, that is odd since PSP has better games coming out for it.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
yeah, most titles come out in fall-winter. Just look at when COD4, COD5, MW2, Crysis, and Far Cry 2 ALL came out. August-December is usually when the most game titles come out. Aka, when there is a better reason to buy a console/ gaming hardware.

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I agree with brendano257, but I think it could also be because of the age of the hardware at this point. Most people that want a console have a console by now and aren't going to buy another unless the one they own now breaks. Now if they upgraded the hardware of these systems I think we'd see sells jump significantly, but that won't happen until the next gen of gaming consoles

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The current consoles are all nearly 3+ years old (PSP, DS, Wii, XBox 360, PS3). The DSi doesn't have better gaming capability, just a camera and microphone. Why would hardware sales be increasing when there's nothing new to buy?

Why do you think car companies come out with new and updated models every few years? If they didn't give consumers something newer and shinier, people would just stick with their old cars till they stopped running. Hell, Wii sales would probably increase again if Nintendo just released the black version here in the U.S. It doesn't even need better hardware, its just something new, and an excuse for many people to spend money. People like spending money, they just need better excuses in these tougher economic times.

chuckdalton

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
The sales will go up, before christmas they gonna find some trick to attract people to buy their console, like a cupholder or something.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The turning point is just around the corner for PS3, i expect Christmas
or the first half of next year to be the point of a switch in sales power to the Playstation. The original Xbox got of to a stronger start too and then fizzled, i expect the same with the PS3. I'm going to laugh when it happens, but not for the reasons people might think. I'm going to laugh at the hand full of developers that don't want to produce games for the PS3 right now, because their going to get the cold shoulder once the tide turns.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]sublifer[/nom]Maybe everyone is watching the PC gaming market and waiting for DX11 hardware. Consoles suck anyways[/citation]

What PC gaming market? Each console utterly destroys the entire PC gaming market all by itself. Besides, we are talking about video game hardware which doesn't include PC components.

And I really have to take note/laugh at how horribly Sony has failed with the PS3. The sales are so dismal that the 9 year old PS2 is nipping at its heels. Where was that price drop again? By the time it actually happens Microsoft will already have the Elite at $299 and it won't be met with any fanfare. Sony just doesn't know hot to NOT make mistakes with the PS3.

aaronb09

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
well of course sales are slipping.. need to release good games for someone to want to buy the system, other then a select few games in early may/june there has been nothing, cause everyone releases there games in oct/nov and force you to choose between like 10 games, i freaking hate it..

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Look at PSP sales, that is odd since PSP has better games coming out for it.[/citation] No one should buy a PSP since the PSP Slim is going to be out. Y buy UMDs when all content is going digital. If the price drops on the 360 Elite, I'll probably pick one up, since mine is crapping out. Too bad for the PS3, development costs is just not par with that of the 360. PS3 does have better graphics and loads faster depending on game developer, but controls and multiplayer just works for the 360's live network. I can see why ppl want a DS their so fun and easy to mod. While of course, ppl still like the Wii. Mine only comes out to play at parties.

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
the only system that i sell consistently at work is the DS. whether is a slow day or a busy day. but what i notice is the amount of casual aka mostly uniformed customers that i have had since i work at future shop (canada's version best buy, they even own future shop). they way i look at it is most informed consumers in the video game market already own at LEAST one of the the current gen consoles and most of the numbers we see here represent people who are buying their first console or people that are late to the party. so i don't think it has to do much with the amount of good or bad titles that are out, at least from my point of view. is just the consoles' regular life cycle, they already hit that plateau where they wont see any more growth in terms of market share against one another. its all downhill from here until the next gen. most people won't buy a ps3 slim to replace their $400+ ps3, specially if it has less features (like the death of backwards ps2 compatibility).

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
After having two Xbox 360's die on me and deciding that my Wii is a worthless joke compared to what Nintendo used to put out before the horrid GameCube. I also decided that Sony has lost their minds, so I'm out on that as well. I'm not interested in paying $59.99 for a crappy game that will last me 10 hours or less when I used to be able to spend $20-50 and play for 50+ hours if not hundreds upon hundreds of hours. I'll stick to my other forms of entertainment until games return to what Bioware was originally intent on making them: works of art. Jade Empire, KOTOR I and II, and games of that sort were incredible. Then crap like Too Human, Mass Effect, and Tom Clancy's Generic Shooter 4 came out and gaming's been full of steaming turds that lose their luster after just one afternoon of playing.

G

Dont count on Holiday spending this year, if you owe money on a credit card (any brand) and you havent got your notice yet, it will be coming soon, and you may be shocked at the present the issuer is going to give you. People with good standing accounts will now have a minimum 25.89% interest rate. People who have missed a payment date will have a penalty interest rate of up to 39.99%. This is on all money owed and new purchases. And be warned some banks are not going to send the notices until after Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.