Video gradually de-syncs from sound

WeirdoWithaCello

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I have an HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx (stats below). Any time I watch video video, the sound gradually becomes out-of-sync. This does not happen when playing games.
However, whenever any sound would start playing, the first five seconds of it are silent. I've tried updating all drivers, switching between default graphics-processors, and rolling-back my audio-drivers. No dice.

Windows 10 home x64
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
4GB RAM

edit: Just to elaborate one point; when I start a video, the first three seconds or so are completely silent, save for two pops. Then the sound proceeds as normal. Not sure if this helps, but there.

Are these online videos? If so it may have nothing to do with your computer but rather your internet connection, or the browser you are watching them in. If the browser has been up a while and you have been to lots of sites/pages, it is very possible the browser is now bogged down by this. So I would see about clearing the history, cache, etc. Just save what you want/need before clearing it all out.

Should that not help, then I would test your speed. Not through one of the common speed testing sites. Sadly they can give false readings sometimes. Try this one... https://testmy.net/

You should also check for any down time/lost connection. If your internet goes out, even for a moment, then this can also cause the out of sync issue.

WeirdoWithaCello

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Unfortunately, it happens with any video, on or offline.

What is running the background when this happens? If you go to "Start" and in the search box type "Task Manager" (without the quotes) and then click on that item in the list. Go to the "Processes" tab and see if anything is running that is taking up resources, that isn't needed.

You might also want to go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (again without the quotes) and then click on that item in the list. Go to the "Services" tab and see if there are any programs set to start when Windows starts, other than those that need to be.

WeirdoWithaCello

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

I often go straight to task manager or services when I don't know what's wrong. However, I never know what shouldn't be there.

That is the issue isn't it. :) Depending on your system and the programs you want to have in there or need to have in there, it is hard to know what should or shouldn't be.

Depending on your devices resources, I would then make sure you are watching videos without running other things (browsers, etc.) that take up a lot of resources.If you have been using such things, then try restarting the computer before you get into videos. See if this stops the issue.

Aug 26, 2018
I tried everything for a month on all of these forums. Finally i replaced the HDMI cable with another. Somehow, that was the problem.

Hope you got yours solved