VIDEO: Hackers Can Exploit Bluetooth Headsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
And that is why I hold my phone to my head.

Seriously, I don't understand people with those things. Do they think they're fashionable? Because they're not.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
They're another excuse to not use your phone like a phone.

These days, IM clients, MP3 players, video players, internet devices, game consoles and major life utilities.

All of that, with a bonus phone added in.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I guess this makes the tinfoil hat obsolete. Tinfoil burqa maybe? Perhaps to be secure you'll need clothing with fiber optic lines sewn-in so you can connect your phone and headset without leakage.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I bought a bluetooth headset to make it easier to call my fiancé for hours on end, but we abandoned it since it was awful quality. Gonna stick with face-to-handset. xD

crocket

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]And that is why I hold my phone to my head.Seriously, I don't understand people with those things. Do they think they're fashionable? Because they're not.[/citation]

Actually, believe it or not, some people try to be safer drivers.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]crocket[/nom]Actually, believe it or not, some people try to be safer drivers.[/citation]

Unfortunately, you cannot text hands & eyes free with a blue-tooth headset, which is where the real problem lies: Texting.

The only calls important enough to make while driving are either:
1) 911 or another emergency number (that is short and/or memorized)
2) on speed-dial already

In both situations, it is not necessary for the operator to look at his/her phone, and in both situations, it distracts them MUCH less than sending a 50-500 character text. (well seriously, what's the point of a 10 character text? Typing a 10 digit phone number, however, is much less likely to cause an accident.)

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
in order to communicate hands-fee.

Is this some new type of government fee for using your hands?

Come on Tom's, I've reported more than 5 typos in the last one month, and I'm not even a native speaker!!!

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Okay... so change the PIN from "0000", and don't give out sensitive information like CC# or SS# while talking over bluetooth.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Why not use wired headsets? seriously... first of all Bluetooth is still radio-waves which can cause cancer and second, it needs no additional battery and it's way better quality.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
So giving all your personal details out in the middle of a crowded Starbucks isn't a security risk at all? Who needs the kit, just go in, buy a coffee and eavesdrop!

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]And that is why I hold my phone to my head.Seriously, I don't understand people with those things. Do they think they're fashionable? Because they're not.[/citation]

No they are not fashionable coz it make them look like GPS guided dorks

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
This does seem to be overblown. He has to aim his antenna at your location and connect to a specific headset address. How will they do this when you're in a cart at 30 MPH (50 Kmh)? And how often are people giving out their credit card numbers or SS# over the phone while driving? I can see someone might place an order by phone from a coffee shop and give their credit card number, but it would be a noob mistake, since anyone around you can hear you.

If they can pick up mass groups of BT headsets then who will take the time to sort through all of the conversations and pick out any sensitive data (other than the government, I mean)?

Just some thoughts. I'd be glad to share them over a bluetooth connection!

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]Why not use wired headsets? seriously... first of all Bluetooth is still radio-waves which can cause cancer and second, it needs no additional battery and it's way better quality.[/citation]

I, too, prefer the sound of a wired headset and the battery-free convenience. However, my current phone doesn't have a connection for one without using a large and unwieldy dongle...

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
How on a sec, doesn't the headset need to be set into pairing mode before it makes a handshake with the device it is connecting to? If the bluetooth headset isn't in pairing mode why would it accept a pairing request from another random device/hacker?

Status
Not open for further replies.