VIDEO: Sim Shows BP Oil Spreading up East Coast

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
A lot of criticism has been directed at BP, but the cause of the oil leak was not BP fault it was the American sub-contractor and the American workers on the rig that caused the spill. All BP did was commission and sub-contract the job to American companies. All of BP’s problems have come from American sub-contractors.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It won't be long and the nuclear option will start to look appealing. I'm just glad we have the federal government around to ensure that this is handled with the proper concern and care.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I wonder if they can sink a large boat, or maybe a large, heavy, upside down bowl thing over the leak and cover the whole thing for a bit while working out a longer terms solution. Not sure how big the thing has to be to hold the pressure coming up though.

As for alternatives, nuclear power has been a good alternative for a while already. People are too used to associating "Nuclear" with "Bomb".

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]Still in denial about the extent of this? Seems the most likely course in my eyes and if it does itll end up on Irish shores. I hope BP are willing to pay for the clean up in that case. The other thing I can't understand is the attitude its Obamas fault. What do you expect him to do? Walking out on water, say one word and everything will be ok? This is purely BP's fault for screwing up in the first place, and not have a suitable plan for this case of scenario.[/citation]
I'm not saying it's Obama's fault. But, once a problem reaches a catastrophic scope that jeopardizes civilization health, safety, and welfare, the government should typically respond. The current administration's complete lack of involvement is reprehensible. The spill has been going for over 45 days. In that time, what exactly has Obama done? Parties, vacations, and demonstratively displaying the nonchalant "I can do no wrong and point fingers" attitude are all I have seen.

The previous administration was slammed for the Katrina response. This current disaster is FAR worse with global ramifications. Go on thinking that Obama/our government should do nothing if you want. When the shores of other countries are covered with oil, lets see who they blame. My money is on blaming the U.S. government for not containing a problem that originated in U.S. waters.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom] The previous administration was slammed for the Katrina response. This current disaster is FAR worse with global ramifications. Go on thinking that Obama/our government should do nothing if you want. When the shores of other countries are covered with oil, lets see who they blame. My money is on blaming the U.S. government for not containing a problem that originated in U.S. waters.[/citation]

Actually if I am not mistaken it took place in international waters it wasn't close enough to either US or Mexico. So as far as this being America's responsibility in anyway makes no sense its a foreign company on international waters that caused this.

Although we will have to act upon this and work to clean up the mess as it is effecting and going to effect us much worse if we do not BP should have pay for every single penny of it and must remain the main active part to fixing and cleaning the problem up. I also believe that BP should be held 100% responsible for any that it may effect due to this event.

The lawsuit against BP should be massive and likely something that would bankrupt them but they should be rejected for any bankruptcy claims to ensure they must and will pay out. However we all know this will not happen and they will get a small slap on the wrist fine.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Actually if I am not mistaken it took place in international waters it wasn't close enough to either US or Mexico.[/citation]
That's incorrect. The site is leased to BP by the U.S. through the Department of the Interior Minerals Management Service. Otherwise, the U.S. government wouldn't have as much recourse against BP.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]I think bp should be charged enough money they go bankrupt. Just for being dicks and dumping large quantities of oil into the ocean.[/citation]
Yeah, that's exactly what they set out to do.

ColliSions

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Britain's way of getting back at the US for the Boston Tea Party.[/citation]
Not our texas tea =(

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Being from Louisiana, this video actually looks appealing. I mean if a hurricane were to come though, the damage from oil rather than water would dwarf the money that Katrina cost.

G

Love how all of you people talking out your ass didn't bother reading, oh I dunno, maybe some real info on how oil spills work? Try looking up the Popular Mechanic's article on the 10 worst oil spills, perhaps, or look up research done on how a hurricane would affect the spill. You realize that most of the oil actually gets eaten in the ocean by microbes?

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
In 1978 they blocked a spill by trowing rocks at it but no BP oil dosent want to sacrifice one single pipe for the safety of the water. Fucking a-holes!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]It's amusing that since this isn't affecting anyone here (yet) we can sit back and laugh about it. Real nice. It's OIL. You know, oil? In saltwater. Where millions of fish LIVE. Fish that you EAT.[/citation]
OMG it's horrible, but I bet you didn't know oil is almost always seeping out into the ocean. Oil spills are rather natural and happen all the time, nature knows how to deal with it, yea animals and fish die but it's part of life and something you can't get around. Something like thing could have been avoided but it's not like all oil spills are form us, they happen all the time naturally without earth destroying effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.