VIDEO: The Fake Sun That Lit Up a Canadian Town

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]strangest1ofall[/nom]It's not real sunlight, therefore has none of the benefits of sunlight. UV rays are what provide plants with energy and create vitamin D in our skin. This is a gigantic waste of energy all as an advertising ploy. They attached what appear to be incandescent lights to a helium balloon. Not only is sunlight at this time of year in the Arctic unnatural, it could impact negatively on indigenous wildlife. Companies like Tropicana should be required to submit proposals to do things like this to a government organization or third party that is able to access the impact of such a stunt on the surrounding area. It they were concerned for their health, they would probably move out of the Arctic. And again, this light would have no health benefit whatsoever. It could also mess up people's sleep patterns. Not really anything but an over glorified street lamp. Hurray for all the happy little children though who will go on believing it's the unequivocal right of humanity to go about introducing artificial everything into otherwise undisturbed habitats.[/citation]

No, perhaps it doesn't provide vitamin D or help plants grow but that doesn't mean it wasn't beneficial. If it helped put a smile on people's faces and warm their hearts then that was beneficial to their lives.

As for the negative impact on the environment... I doubt the impact would be much at all because as you said it's artificial and would have none of the altering affects of sunlight. On top of that I'm doubting it war ran long enough to have a negative impact.

I'm all for preserving nature, but why can't we have fun every now and then?

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]strangest1ofall[/nom]It's not real sunlight, therefore has none of the benefits of sunlight. UV rays are what provide plants with energy and create vitamin D in our skin. This is a gigantic waste of energy all as an advertising ploy. They attached what appear to be incandescent lights to a helium balloon. Not only is sunlight at this time of year in the Arctic unnatural, it could impact negatively on indigenous wildlife. Companies like Tropicana should be required to submit proposals to do things like this to a government organization or third party that is able to access the impact of such a stunt on the surrounding area. It they were concerned for their health, they would probably move out of the Arctic. And again, this light would have no health benefit whatsoever. It could also mess up people's sleep patterns. Not really anything but an over glorified street lamp. Hurray for all the happy little children though who will go on believing it's the unequivocal right of humanity to go about introducing artificial everything into otherwise undisturbed habitats.[/citation]

You didn't tell us if you are for or against pulp in your juice.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

Wow! I think you totally missed the point. Have you ever been in such a place longer than a couple of days? From your response my guess is no. I have spent two weeks with no sun, these people, according to the video went at least 31 days, believe me you do miss it. The benefits to moral alone is worth it and it was not done to long enough to even come close to having any negative impact on the surrounding area. In short, stop looking for a reason political or otherwise, to start something. Just let people enjoy this little bit of fun.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Who cares how much energy it uses. Its for the greater good, living without sunlight is cold and unhealthy. Screw the Hippies, this is awesome.[/citation]

Next, bring air conditioning in the middle of the Sahara for the people who do not like hot weather.
That would be cool ... NOT.
(Actually, there is already a place with a ski slope but that is completely stupid.)

Not every places in the world are suitable for every body.
If the normal weather(or day/night cycle) of a place is not good for you just do not live there.
If you decide to leave there, do not complain about normal weather(or day/night cycle) of this place.

G

In sunlight it is light quality and brightness that affects sleep patterns in animals and humans. This is why overstimulation via bright light can cause insomnia. This lamp is potentially sleep-pattern altering while providing no health benefits. And again, I wouldn't really classify this as "having fun". This is advertising, a new launch for their "sunrise" logo. Tropicana with added calcium and vitamin D. It is a gimmick. Go on letting companies do whatever they want as long as they sum it up in a nice heart-warming commercial for you. I'm sure a campaign to bring the darkness back to the arctic during it's 56-day long constant sunlight period would be just as widely accepted as beautiful. And if this is coinciding with the return of sunlight anyway, I really have to ask what the point of it is, aside from advertising. Those smiles would have been on those kids faces later in the month when the real sunlight returned. And to assume there is no life, nor an active ecosystem (probably dormant during the darkness, hence the light messing it up), in the arctic is just ignorance.

davendork

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
It chases away all the vampires. Honestly, I don't understand why humans choose to live in these conditions. Still a happier place than Cleveland...

Greenmantis

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I see no harm in this. OK so what it is a silly promo for a company. But as someone that was born in a small town, it is cool when someone from the larger world notices your little neck of the woods. And as far as energy consumption goes~ HOW DARE YOU! You are most likely like the rest of us with your SUV, big screen TV, washer, dryer, dishwasher, computers, stereos, and everything else made off the back of the oil industry! And you whine about a little town getting a cool thing for a couple of days??
Whiskey. Tango Foxtrot. Interrogative.

Oh and Pulp or no pulp ~ Don't care, but could I have mine with a shot of Vodka please? ;)

bokuden

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I'm more a Simply Orange fan, but neat stuff, Tropicana.

Lots of pulp! it's not OJ if you don't have to chew every so often. :)

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
If this actually happened, I probably would have seen it on the Canadian news at some point. Or been able to find some news articles online. This is not real. This is an ad played to try to get us to buy their shit. I've seen it before on tv.

Anyway, that's what it seemed to me. Toms seems to have more details. I think they should start posting links on their articles to sources.

G

The balloon is 60,000 watts and 10 meters in diameter. The largest lighting balloon in the world. There are 12 x 5,000watt bulbs inside the envelope filled with helium (not flammable). The fixture was lit for two days and everyone in town got a large container of Tropicana.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]Airstar[/nom]The balloon is 60,000 watts and 10 meters in diameter. The largest lighting balloon in the world. There are 12 x 5,000watt bulbs inside the envelope filled with helium (not flammable). The fixture was lit for two days and everyone in town got a large container of Tropicana.[/citation]

Such a waste of energy, since they could of achieved that amount of lumens by 4 or 5 Metal Halide Bulbs since they are rated at 250 W and produce 20,000 Lumens:

http://www.prolighting.com/mh250-c-u.html

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Beautiful and definitely good for company image. This really proves that not all businesses are run by selfish *ssholes. (please don't ban me for saying that).

As for orange juice... well I live in the middle east: cannot get my hands on Tropicana... Have to do with local "NADA" stuff.
WITH PULP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.