VIDEO: The Fake Sun That Lit Up a Canadian Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
My favorite OJ of all time! With "Lots of Pulp" is the best. That no pulp stuff doesn't cut it, yet it's still beats the pants off of other brands... ESPECIALLY that Minute Maid orange-colored water they call OJ. Long live Tropicana OJ!

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Poor kids without sun for a month. Thank goodness for this. Though it's nowhere as powerful as the sun or the moon.

"is it clean"
How about is it safe? economic? sustainable?

G

they didn't just attach lights to a giant helium balloon, its an Airstar Canada light ( www.airstarcanada.com ) anyone can buy or rent them as well. check the site out to see some of the movies and events Airstar has done.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]gwolfman[/nom]My favorite OJ of all time! With "Lots of Pulp" is the best. That no pulp stuff doesn't cut it, yet it's still beats the pants off of other brands... ESPECIALLY that Minute Maid orange-colored water they call OJ. Long live Tropicana OJ![/citation]

Death to pulp!!!!!!

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
That was awesome, I knew someone would comment on energy usage, who cares?

I liked it, and I'm sure the people living their enjoyed it as well.

BTW pulp is awesome!

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]That was awesome, I knew someone would comment on energy usage, who cares?I liked it, and I'm sure the people living their enjoyed it as well.BTW pulp is awesome![/citation]

I agree. I hardly believe it is going to be left on for an extended period of time, energy usage be darned. I imagine it was pretty fun for the kids. Also, pulp is for paper and fiction, not juice!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Who cares how much energy it uses. Its for the greater good, living without sunlight is cold and unhealthy. Screw the Hippies, this is awesome.
And +1 for lots of pulp.

G

It's not real sunlight, therefore has none of the benefits of sunlight. UV rays are what provide plants with energy and create vitamin D in our skin. This is a gigantic waste of energy all as an advertising ploy. They attached what appear to be incandescent lights to a helium balloon. Not only is sunlight at this time of year in the Arctic unnatural, it could impact negatively on indigenous wildlife. Companies like Tropicana should be required to submit proposals to do things like this to a government organization or third party that is able to access the impact of such a stunt on the surrounding area. It they were concerned for their health, they would probably move out of the Arctic. And again, this light would have no health benefit whatsoever. It could also mess up people's sleep patterns. Not really anything but an over glorified street lamp. Hurray for all the happy little children though who will go on believing it's the unequivocal right of humanity to go about introducing artificial everything into otherwise undisturbed habitats.

Status
Not open for further replies.