Solved! Videos on SD card play on computer but not camcorder

Dec 15, 2018
So, for xmas, i converted old 8mm tape videos to mo4 files and i wanted to be able to transfer those videos onto an sd card and then put the sd card into a new camcorder and be able to view the old videos there. When i transfer the videos onto the sd card and put it in the new camcorder the vides domt appear. How can i make the videos appear on the camcorder?
The SD card is a SanDisk Extreme Plus UHS-I Card 64 gb with 90mb/s.
The camcorder is a Canon Vixia HF R800

Solution
1st thoughts are that the camcorder doesn't support .mp4's, or that the sd card needs to be formatted in fat32 (as opposed to ntfs), or vice versa.
Make and model of camcorder would help us confirm.

dudio

Admirable
1st thoughts are that the camcorder doesn't support .mp4's, or that the sd card needs to be formatted in fat32 (as opposed to ntfs), or vice versa.
Make and model of camcorder would help us confirm.

Solution
Dec 15, 2018
Yes it works, i tested it by recording a video and the test video shows up and is available to watch but the old videos that i transferred onto the SD card arent available to watch

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then it would probably be some difference in the formatting of the mp4 files.

Dec 15, 2018

Is there a way to format the files so it is compatible with the camcorder?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Unknown.
Why do you need them 'playable' on the camcorder, vs some other device? PC, laptop, phone...

Dec 15, 2018

Its just a preference. So when they open up the camcorder on xmas they will be surprised when they see the old videos on it. If its not possible to do then ill just change up the plan

USAFRet

Illustrious

ahhh...

Again, I suspect is just some difference in the formatting, that the camcorder does not know how to read.

Dec 15, 2018

You know of any method of formatting those files so that the camcorder will read it?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Not off the top of my head.
That would require investigation into exactly how the camcorder records, and then redoing your 8mm tapes to that specific format.
Resolution, framerate, probably a few other things.

Dec 15, 2018

Okay, i appreciate the help!