Viedo Displays on Laptop but not on Smart TV Via HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfguera

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
I was playing an HD movie on my laptop and It was showing fine. I decided to hook up my laptop to my Samsung Smart TV with an HDMI cable to show the movie on that device (I didn't have access to a DVD player). Everything was projecting fine on the TV (desktop, icons, etc.). The movie was still playing on my laptop using Windows Media Player (WMP). I was able to see WMP projected on my TV as well BUT there was no movie showing. WMP was blank with a light purple background. HOWEVER, my laptop was still showing the movie. So I can't seem to watch this particular movie on my Smart TV with an HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV. Other movies show fine on both my laptop as well as the TV (and they were also HD movies).
Any ideas?

Solution
Interesting.

Try WIN + P (press keys at the same time) and chose "Second screen" only where the second screen is the Smart TV.

"WIN" being Windows logo key.

Probably some protection scheme to prevent copying a movie while watching it - duplicate video outputs not permitted.

You may need to forgo the docking station as well.

Just that one movie - no others? Can you get that particular movie to play on any other TV's connected in the same manner to your laptop?

I am going to venture that that "particular" movie is running afoul of some copyright protection scheme.

Probably imposed by the Smart TV.

jfguera

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

No, it does the same thing. Although, it's also a Samsung Smart TV.
I also noticed that when I connected my laptop to my docking station (which is connected to an HD monitor) I got a warning message from Power Media Player. It included the following:
"Do not use dual monitors to play back this movie (Clone Mode)"

Interesting.

Try WIN + P (press keys at the same time) and chose "Second screen" only where the second screen is the Smart TV.

"WIN" being Windows logo key.

Probably some protection scheme to prevent copying a movie while watching it - duplicate video outputs not permitted.

You may need to forgo the docking station as well.

Solution

jfguera

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.