Vintage Amp --> Modern Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleekill

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I have a great vintage turntable and amp which I have always used with old school speakers. In an effort to streamline the system so I can also play Spotify and Podcasts from my computer and phone, I purchased a set of Bose bookshelf speakers and a Logitech bluetooth receiver. I realize I am clearly missing something(s), but would love some advice on the best route to take from here.

Amp : Sansui Solid State 2000 A
Turntable : Sansui SR-2050 C
Speakers : Bose Companion 20
Bluetooth Receiver : Logitech BT Adapter

Solution
If your had to use the Bose speakers then your could could remove the jumpers that connect the preamp output to the amp input. Connect the speakers to the preamp outputs with an RCA to stereo mini plug cable. You don't want to use bluetooth to connect them unless you want to use them in another room. In that case you would connect a BT transmitter to the tape monitor output of the receiver.
You really do want to use passive speakers. Even a cheap pair would sound better than the Bose.
If you want to stream to the receiver then an Aptx bluetooth receiver connected to any line level input would work. For higher quality you could use a Denon HeosLink which would not only stream from your phone but would also stream directly and play files...

sleekill

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I'd like to use the amp. It just hit me that of course I don't need powered speakers, duh...

I am curious if I could connect a bluetooth receiver to the amp / unpowered speakers? That is the end goal, to have the option to play the turntable, radio, or computer / phone via bluetooth.

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
You dont want to use Bluetooth for audio. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth to correctly proccess even good quality sound. So you are far better off just getting a refund on your powered speakers if possible and getting new ones that the amp can power.

^ it would work fine but those Bose PC speakers honestly aren't that good really IMO .

A pair of Polk ts100 even though they're an obscenely budget option (powered by the amp) would sound infinitely better.
$130 in cherry
They're very very easy speakers to drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00192KEY0/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509473090&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=polk+bookshelf+speakers&dpPl=1&dpID=41cCWqrVEAL&ref=plSrch

If you want something smaller then id consider a cheap sub with speaker level inputs & a pair of small sats.

If your had to use the Bose speakers then your could could remove the jumpers that connect the preamp output to the amp input. Connect the speakers to the preamp outputs with an RCA to stereo mini plug cable. You don't want to use bluetooth to connect them unless you want to use them in another room. In that case you would connect a BT transmitter to the tape monitor output of the receiver.
You really do want to use passive speakers. Even a cheap pair would sound better than the Bose.
If you want to stream to the receiver then an Aptx bluetooth receiver connected to any line level input would work. For higher quality you could use a Denon HeosLink which would not only stream from your phone but would also stream directly and play files from a USB drive. Will even play highres audio files. Your phone would be a remote control/display for it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.