Vintage Gateway Laptop Having Power Issues

XLightningBlueX

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
Hello,

I have a vintage Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that I was planning on using as a light vintage gaming system with Windows 98. The computer all together runs great and is in near perfect condition for how old it is ( 20 years, I think ), but I'm having issues with the computer trying to run it on battery power. Yes, I know that the battery might be dead so I purchased another thinking this might fix the problem, but it didn't.

The laptop runs perfectly on AC power, and the computer sees and shows the battery is charging to 100% ( both the original and the other one I bought ). When I try to run the laptop on the battery only, it will not power on at all and will show no sign of any power anywhere, even the battery meter fades away without AC.

If anybody has anything to offer in finding a solution, I'd be very grateful!
Thank you for your time!

Solution
Is the new battery you got an HP battery? I ask, because HP has an issue running generic batteries and his may be why the new one won't work for you at all.

If it is an HP battery, then try the following and see if it will allow for the battery to work...

Try the following and see if it will turn on.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in.)
6. Now put the battery back in and see if you can get it to run on battery only.
Is the new battery you got an HP battery? I ask, because HP has an issue running generic batteries and his may be why the new one won't work for you at all.

If it is an HP battery, then try the following and see if it will allow for the battery to work...

Try the following and see if it will turn on.

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds and see if the device will turn on.
5. If it does, great, now plug back in the power/charger cord. (If it didn't turn on without the cord in, it should turn on once you it is in.)
6. Now put the battery back in and see if you can get it to run on battery only.

Solution