Virgin Mobile to Cap 'Unlimited' Broadband at 5GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]sndcj1[/nom]Let me make sure I'm clear on your suggestion, you are OK with the company saying "1000 people per tower, each tower has a 100 megabit link to the network, so we cap everyone at 100kb" or "We only have 2000 gb of total network backbone, we have 40 million subscribers who use data, so we cap them all at 50kb". I think I prefer the option of the highest possible at the moment, and those that use EXTREME amounts of data on a MOBILE device, get capped as they go over.[/citation]

Yeah. That's what he's saying. Because that's the truth of it and how it works. And when they put it like that, the truth, no one's going to be happy with the service, because those technologically incompetent will actually understand how they're being screwed by cheap decisions and lack of infrastructure improvement.
It's like traffic. Notice they never stop building or expanding roads? Same f'n thing.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]I bet they do this due to pressure from the copyright interests who know this is the only way to limit torrents among the entire population.[/citation]

Oh yes, that's it. They must think everyone is torrenting on their virgin mobile phones.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sndcj1[/nom]Let me make sure I'm clear on your suggestion, you are OK with the company saying "1000 people per tower, each tower has a 100 megabit link to the network, so we cap everyone at 100kb" or "We only have 2000 gb of total network backbone, we have 40 million subscribers who use data, so we cap them all at 50kb". I think I prefer the option of the highest possible at the moment, and those that use EXTREME amounts of data on a MOBILE device, get capped as they go over.[/citation]

What he is saying is that it doesn't matter how much data any single person ever downloads. Virgin Mobile (and every other ISP) pays for bandwidth, that is, how much data can be transferred at any given time. If you have a 100mbps connection, you can sustain 100mbps of data transfer. Doesn't matter if you have 1000 people all checking their email or 10 people all streaming off Netflix, that 100mbps is the hard-limit, for any given moment in time.

Therefore, during a busy part of the day, someone checking their email is just as guilty of causing congestion as someone downloading a movie. EVERYONE who uses a link is guilty of slowing that link down. Virgin mobile (and every other ISP) is punishing people who simply choose to use that connection more often then others.

Think about it this way, what if you download your 5GB of data solely between the hours of 12AM and 6AM? I'm willing to bet your data usage in no way affected the network, because who else is using it at that time? However, lets say some office lets out at 5PM on the dot, and at that time, all 1000 of their employees check their email. That's going to cause more network congestion than any single downloader could ever do. Yet, its the night-owl downloader who will be punished, not the habitual email checkers.

Think about a highway. The posted speed limit might be 55, but during rush hour, you're lucky to go 30. But EVERYONE is going 30. Be it the person in that fancy sportscar or that semi-truck in the next lane. Now, by saying someone can only download 5GB before being throttled is like saying someone can only travel 500 miles before they stop driving for the month. Guess what, every day, thousands of short-distance commuters will still be clogging the highways at peak times. You won't notice a change because, guess what, most people who regular drive long distances (like trucking companies) tend to AVOID rush hour. But companies that ship overnight to avoid rush-hour congestion are still going to be punished by the new mileage limit, even though they never once got stuck in a traffic jam. That's how pointless a blind data cap is.

As for a solution, I propose a sliding speed-limit. When I lived in Michigan we had Comcast cable internet with PowerBoost. The Powerboost (according to their fine print) would allow burst speeds of up to 20mbps. However, this was only for a couple seconds (so that a webpage or email would load very quickly). For sustained downloads, the speed would drop back to 12/8/6 whatever mbps.

If wireless companies did this, and told you they were doing it, I wouldn't really have a problem. If the connection lasts too long, throttle it back so it doesn't consume all the resources. Based on the time of day, adjust how much throttling is performed. During business hours, a sustained connection might be allowed 10% of max, but over night, it might be allowed 20% or more. It's not perfect, but at least no one is unfairly punished.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]@teknomedic: with what money? exactly?but sure, maybe if you complain enough, a massive national wifi broadband service will just magic itself into existence for free... it was fine to have unlimited plans when the networks were only used by early adopters, that is no longer the case. and don't kid yourself into thinking the few early adopter's $40 every month was in anyway enough to cover the infrastructure. it was an investment for the future, when it would be mainstream.quite apart from the fact that paying the same amount no matter how much you use is completely unfair... maybe water and electricity should work like that...[/citation]

i dont know about water since i dont pay it but my electric is the same every month no matter how much i use.. so is the home phone, as is my internet, wait what was your argument? thier network sux they need to upgrade it capping people wont stop these two facts. Assuming they can get more customers they will again find them selves in this same situation. Why try and justify it with such a silly argument.

Hellwig. Now im not sure if the mobile segment is the same but when it comes to bandwidth ISP's pay for outgoing bandwidth not in coming.

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
@hellwig

^+1

You are the first person anywhere I've seen that has the true picture of what's happening on the wireless networks.

Let's also remember the carriers also pay for the data exchange and do expect to get an enormous profit ratio from said data delivered. They make the profit ratio on the lite users, however, when they see someone using a lot of data, they look at that as an individual sale and the computed profit on the data quantity is not so great. That person is lowering the realized profit ratio and so must be limited (capped). Look at the new Verizon ads, telling how fast it is to download movies with their new so-called 4G... Huh? Yup, you can now use up you entire month's allotment of data in 30 minutes. Have fun. I can't wait to see a news article about someone that got an $4,000 bill for the month due to "overages." At 10 cents/MB, it will occur.

gizgiz_

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I got up to 7.2mbit, completly unlimited including free calls within the same carrier on my phone for $30 a month :> Yay for Sweden.
Can use it for my comp with either cable or wifi-hotspot

G

Come to Australia We sue our ISP's for false advertising. a Capped Plan plan is a capped plan a Limited plan is not UNLIMITED.

As we love to say here vote with your wallets and take your money elsewhere.

Cheers

G

So... if the $40 plan is going away and only Walmart purchased equipment can utilize the $20 1gb plan, what will the non Walmart plans be?

hile

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
So if I buy it today and get the unlimited plan, would that grandfather me into keeping the unlimited plan? message me with any answers please. I want to get rid of my horrible century link internet and move my phone line to a free app.

G

I totally embrace the "class action" idea the loosers at virgin mobile are still advertising "unlimited broadband to go $40.00 dollars a month and it,s the tenth of February.I purchased the little wifi box for $150.00 dollars five months ago just for the unlimited claim.I live in a very rural area with no good isp,and have been using it to help home school my three children,and so they can play games and watch netflix it has worked great!I'm no broa.dband expert but,I feel they were exploiting people with their "unlimited"claim.Afterall they write very specific adds "download and stream all you want"It's not the money that bothers me as much as the being lied to!I'm switching to cricket who also have a 5gb cap and are $60.00 a month.I like the "pre paid" plan may be a lot more expensive but at least they're honest.If I'm "slowing down the network"or "using an unfair or disproportionate amount of data"well I guess paying an additional $40.00 per 5gb will make it all better right!

Status
Not open for further replies.