Status
Not open for further replies.

Codelurker

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hi there, have been searching for any solution of my problem at this forum but haven't found any so hope you will assist (if this problem was discussed somewhere before i will appreciate for pointing this topic to me).

I've been given a task at my work to develop a driver, that can create virtual com ports, to which third-party apps can be connected as if it was a real com port, but all data must be received by my app. And vice versa, all data I'm sending from my app must be directed by this driver to this virtual com port.

So, here is my question. Is it possible to create a virtual com port which can be accessed by two applications in such way that incoming data from one app was redirected to the second app? Or will I need two drivers? The first one is virtual com port driver which is connected with third-party app and the second one is the core driver which is connected to my app - in such case I will only need to set data exchange between these drivers.

I've never dealed with drivers' development, so any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

vizgl

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
http://www.virtualserialport.com/products/vspdxp/
Check this out. The idea of the app is more than intuitive - you have two virtual com ports, which are virtually connected one with another by null-modem cable.

Codelurker

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for the link, but i've already suggested this solution to my boss but he declined it saying that why should we create two com-ports if we need only one.. I'm frustrated..

vizgl

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

and how does he think app should communicated with the driver? Sorry, but I think your boss is not very strong in details, if he cannot understand why you should need two com ports. So stop reinventing the wheel, your problem can be solved with already existing solutions.

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
ROFL!
- YOU DON'T NEED ONE, YOU NEED TWO.

COM PORTS CAN ONLY BE USED BY ONE APPLICATION, SO TO ABSTRACT ONE PORT INTO MANY REQUIRES 1+MANY V.PORTS.

IF TWO (OR MORE) APPS ALL CONNECT TO THE SAME COM PORT THEY CANNOT KNOW WHICH DATA IS THEIRS AND WHICH IS NOT, IT WILL WRECK THE LINK V.FAST (pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.