weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I am running a MacOS 10.4.7 virtual machine on my Windows 7 computer, with Vmware Workstation 7. The install itself works fine, but I have one problem. To get the virtual machine, I copied my friend's VM files and opened them with my VMware. However, the size of his virtual hard disk he had the OS installed on is only 5GB. I tried increasing the size in VMware, but the MacOS is unable to increase the size of its partition in the disk utility for whatever reason. I heard that it was possible to "migrate" the MacOS to a new, larger virtual hard drive with Symantec Ghost, or some other similar application. However, I cannot seem to get it to work. If anyone knows how to do this, I would be grateful if you could explain how to do it, and what program to use.

Solution
get hirens boot cd & use norton ghost in it..

start the virtual machine with boot cd image & select norton ghost from backup tools

the select local ->partition to image or disk to image (in your case) & save it to your local drive

create a new VM with larger HDD size & restore the image to new one with GHOST by booting up the cd ->backup tools->norton ghost

select local-> disk from image or partition from image (depends on how you backed up) and restore the image to the new VM..

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
get hirens boot cd & use norton ghost in it..

start the virtual machine with boot cd image & select norton ghost from backup tools

the select local ->partition to image or disk to image (in your case) & save it to your local drive

create a new VM with larger HDD size & restore the image to new one with GHOST by booting up the cd ->backup tools->norton ghost

select local-> disk from image or partition from image (depends on how you backed up) and restore the image to the new VM..

http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

Solution

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm dubious that a program can expand the size of a formatted partition if it doesn't understand the format of that partition. I can understand that it may be able to make an identical copy of a partition, but a larger copy?

Whatever, Carbon Copy will do this job from within OS X, and is free.