Virus made me mess up my registry please help.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So I got the Xp total security virus the other day. I found out what process it was and ended and then removed the files associated with it. I also went into my registry to delete traces of it but I think I deleted something I wasn't supposed to. Here are the registry files I tampered with:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\1FD92E3F7C34799BFB075C41DA05D1FE
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D263FA6D-84CC-48A8-9AF6-C664362B7A5B}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{D263FA6D-84CC-48A8-9AF6-C664362B7A5B}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "1FD92E3F7C34799BFB075C41DA05D1FE"

When I click on shortcut or try to openany programs I get the message "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" This is obviously a registry error. I don't have a backup of my registry and I've tried running some registry repair software with no luck. Any suggestion or ideas on how I can fix my registry, I really don't feel like re-installing the os.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Stay away from registry cleaners, as they only do damage.

Run SuoerAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Antimalware, and you should come out squeaky clean. It removes the malware and the evil entries from the registry.

DougEFresh

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
The problem is not that it is still on my computer but that I think I deleted something I should not have in my registry and now it's causing problems. I got rid of the virus but in doing so I think I deleted an entry in my registry and it is now causing problems.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
As good practice you should export the keys to a safe place before deleting them, or use a free registry back-up utility such a eRunt.

Probably too late for the advice but handy for future reference.

If you have kept system restore active on your pc, with some luck you should be able to restore the deleted registry entries with it.

The problem with this is you will likely restore some of the malware too, in which case graywolf makes an excellent suggestion. MBAM and SAS have an excellent database with the associated registry entries for the malware and will remove the pest autonomously.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
As good practice you should export the keys to a safe place before deleting them, or use a free registry back-up utility such a eRunt.

Probably too late for the advice but handy for future reference.

If you have kept system restore active on your pc, with some luck you should be able to restore the deleted registry entries with it.

The problem with this is you will likely restore some of the malware too, in which case graywolf makes an excellent suggestion. MBAM and SAS have an excellent database with the associated registry entries for the malware and will remove the pest autonomously.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
The pest is removed. The problem is that it had damaged some system files. You need a repair install with the CD to repair sys files.

What kinds of [problems are you having now with the system? What symptoms?

After this, set up ERUNT to always run on bootup. It backs up the entire reg without any effort.