Virus wont let me download new antivirus program

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, My wife let her antivirus program on her laptop lapse and got infected with a virus. It wont let us renew or buy a new anti-virus program. Isn't there a way to go back to an earlier configuration. Any suggestions?

G

Using another computer, download one of the free AV programs like AVG or Avast and load it onto a memory stick. Then try to install on the affected machine.

If the virus still rejects the install, start the machine in Safe Mode (press F8 as Windows starts) and try install again.

You might also download Easycleaner which will inspect programs intended to Start automatically and may allow you to stop the virus starting again.

Identify some key files involved in the virus (sometimes the names will come up in error messages as you start the machine or when the virus tries to access the internet with that disconnected) . Once you have some file names try Googling them and you may find sites which will identify the virus and guide you on eliminating it (better than I can).

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Using another computer, download one of the free AV programs like AVG or Avast and load it onto a memory stick. Then try to install on the affected machine.

If the virus still rejects the install, start the machine in Safe Mode (press F8 as Windows starts) and try install again.

You might also download Easycleaner which will inspect programs intended to Start automatically and may allow you to stop the virus starting again.

Identify some key files involved in the virus (sometimes the names will come up in error messages as you start the machine or when the virus tries to access the internet with that disconnected) . Once you have some file names try Googling them and you may find sites which will identify the virus and guide you on eliminating it (better than I can).

+1

When your computer's running, open your Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). If you see some strange processes, look these up online to see if they're related to the virus.

AntiVir is supposed to have better detection rates compared to AVG and Avast. You could also try freeware Trojan/Malware searchers like asquared.

If all else fails, copy all your important files (pictures/documents/etc) onto a flash drive (scan them with another computer) and reformat your wife's laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.