Visa Backs 'Square' Mobile Payments System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
At the pace of change that the US is going through right now we're going to be using magnetic strips for a looooooooooooooooonnng time to come, (my local store still requires my mom to use the mangetic strip instead of the Blink chip inside the card, and the reader supports blink too!).

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]this makes me question what kind of security and encryption is on the apple iphone for something like this[/citation]
I think the security and encryption are a part of the Square technology and are completely independent of the the phone and carrier. That is the whole point of the technology that Visa has invested in.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Wow dude, what does the mark of the beast and god have to do with paying for your groceries?[/citation]
I think the point he inadvertently made is that no matter what sort of advances in technology are made there are always going to be millions of dumb shits thinking it's just some evil thing made by the devil.

G

I think if you search for Aaron Russo interview you might understand a glimpse of what Firebean is concerned about maybe.
It leads to an inevitable cashless society. Convenient for buying stuff - but it will also come at the price of privacy. People laugh at the idea of a microchipped population. Yet inside or outside of your skin or not, your portable device is slowly turning into one. Ever heard the word `Android'?
Enjoy playing life by your rules..if you really think you are..

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I would like to see technological advancements that bring closer and easier money transfers to the traditional ways. The account information is not handed out, but instead a code, bar, square or numeric code, is given when one wants to pay. That code is generated when the user needs to pay, and is valid for let's say 5 minutes. The user needs to input the amount to pay also.
Easier with an example:
I go to a store, I buy 29.99 $ worth of items. I request my account/bank payment for 30 $ (easier to type). They give me the code. The code gets photographed by the salesperson and checked to the bank for withdrawal (or voice transmission of alphanumerical code, or wireless transmission of such code via sms, mms, bluetooth, email and whatever unsecured way to transmit it). The bank tells him code is valid, and waits for approval. The bank tells me somebody is trying to get that code, and if I approve of it. There and then. If I say yes, the bank transfers only 30 $ to him, no other account info or ways for him to overcharge or later charge or anything similar. If I say no, the shopkeeper might try to validate the code again, or we both can go the procedure again.
Once the first transaction is complete, the shopkeeper might pay me back 0.01 $, or not.
If something in my example sounds familiar, is because it is. Just needs more electronics involved, ease of use and portability.

kernal9911

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason for why Small Business doesn't accept credit cards the insanely high fees that they get charged?

FireBean

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Wow dude, what does the mark of the beast and god have to do with paying for your groceries?[/citation]

It states in Revelations that the you will need the mark of the best to buy or sell anything, and that it will be loved by all. Well, that's my translation of it anyways. I'm not a Christian though, I just do a lot of religious research.

[citation][nom]Joanna Holmes[/nom]I think if you search for Aaron Russo interview you might understand a glimpse of what Firebean is concerned about maybe.It leads to an inevitable cashless society. Convenient for buying stuff - but it will also come at the price of privacy. People laugh at the idea of a microchipped population. Yet inside or outside of your skin or not, your portable device is slowly turning into one. Ever heard the word `Android'?Enjoy playing life by your rules..if you really think you are..[/citation]

Thank you Joanna, but still, each to their own.

G

Interesting that Verifone won that battle... they didn't want to win it, they wanted to cause a ruckus. Still, verifone and Square serve different markets... Square makes more sense for smaller vendors, whereas those doing larger transactions are better off with Verifone.
FeeFighters made a neat calculator showing the differences between the 2:
http://feefighters.com/square-vs-verifone

[citation][nom]FireBean[/nom]It states in Revelations that the you will need the mark of the best to buy or sell anything, and that it will be loved by all. Well, that's my translation of it anyways. I'm not a Christian though, I just do a lot of religious research. Thank you Joanna, but still, each to their own.[/citation]
I thought that that function was filled by the Social Security number. Can't get a job without it, now you can't go to the doctor without it, states are putting it on your driver's license.

Not that I think that this is the actual work of the Devil, but it does seem to fill the description.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]I thought that that function was filled by the Social Security number. Can't get a job without it, now you can't go to the doctor without it, states are putting it on your driver's license.[/citation]
Don't forget military service numbers.

And my SS card said "Not to be used for identification".

Status
Not open for further replies.