VISA, MasterCard Reporting a "Massive" Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]Just another reason why I don't use credit cards.[/citation]

where do you live? Somewhere in Siberia where no one lives?

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
yay let's revert to the good ol' days when people used something called personal 'cheques' to purchase goods. do people still use checks at supermarket? not likely..

srhelicity

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
yay let's revert to the good ol' days when people used something called personal 'cheques' to purchase goods. do people still use checks at supermarket? not likely..

Nothing like sitting in long check-out line, watching my ice cream melt as an old lady takes her sweet old time writing out a check. That's almost like waiting for someone to dig through a 5-gallon-sized purse to find some change because he/she doesn't want to break a $20. I hated those days.

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]rex86[/nom]where do you live? Somewhere in Siberia where no one lives?[/citation]

I live in U.S , California and I don't use credit cards too. I don't like being raped by 35% interest on everything I purchase. If I can't afford it I don't buy it and If don't have the money I save money.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]yay let's revert to the good ol' days when people used something called personal 'cheques' to purchase goods. do people still use checks at supermarket? not likely..[/citation]
I do.

If I can create a paper trail for it, I will. Surprises most when I tell them this because I am a technology guru. And granted the vast majority of the checks I write these days are electronically converted, but I still feel like that if there is a paper trail I can prove that I did what I did.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
That said I do have three credit cards, the highest one has a 9.99% APR.

Unfortunately, 2 of them are Visas with the 3rd being a MasterCard, so I will be keeping on eye on my statements.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
It's such a great strategy to announce that someone stated that a security breach may have compromised the credit cards of 10 milion people, on certain banks, or a certain payment processor. Now we are all worried and have no idea who was affected.

Mar 30, 2012
Why hate these thieves for stealing card info? Maybe they are poor and need it... kind of like the protestors in the 99% movement. Why should anyone have to earn anything for themselves anymore with our culture of handouts and welfare? Because these guys took money directly instead of thru the government reach doesn't make them any worse imho. Cheers to them for cutting out the middle man.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I do.If I can create a paper trail for it, I will. Surprises most when I tell them this because I am a technology guru. And granted the vast majority of the checks I write these days are electronically converted, but I still feel like that if there is a paper trail I can prove that I did what I did.[/citation]

I use credit cards, I make money each year by using my credit card, not quite sure how you can't manage your spending and finances that you can't.

I never pay interest, ever, I pay on time. I have 2% Cashback and make hundreds each year, plus if something happens like I lose my wallet or its stolen, I phone my bank and the card gets cancelled. If it had a tonne of cash say bye bye to it.

If you don't carry much cash then when you need make purchases there's the inconvenience of wasted time going to the bank to withdraw money.

Plus, if the credit card company is compromised or banks and there's fraudulent purchases I am not liable they are.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Wonderful...I am with Navy Federal and no doubt its one of the 482. Hopefully they'll respond quickly to my worries.

[citation][nom]Plasmid[/nom]I live in U.S , California and I don't use credit cards too. I don't like being raped by 35% interest on everything I purchase. If I can't afford it I don't buy it and If don't have the money I save money.[/citation]
About a quarter of credit card users never carry a balance. They pay their bills off in full every month, and so never pay any interest. Anything they charge on their card is bought with a free 0-45 day loan. I don't even bother checking the APR when signing up for a credit card because except for a few times where I paid late or the check got lost in the mail, I've never carried a balance in over 2 decades.

Credit cards offer some really good shopping protections compared to paying with cash or check. Many of them also give rewards. If you're good enough at managing your money that you always have enough to pay for what you buy, it would serve you well to look into getting a good credit card or two.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
This is getting out of hand, im torn between shit like this needing to happen in order for banks and government to take my information seriously, and between not wanting to deal with shit

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Its all insured anyways.... If there is a reported stolen amount you can deal with it. Its annoying, but its not lost cold hard "cash".

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]rex86[/nom]where do you live? Somewhere in Siberia where no one lives?[/citation]
In the US, the same country that buys more than it can afford. I don't want to contribute to that.

Commence with the thumbs down of my comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.