VmWare and Mac OS

sparker781

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
So if I use a legit copy of Mac OS X with a virtual machine can you run mac os as a virtual machine on a PC? I have a copy of Mac OS X that I was using to restore an old macbook....

Not sure if this is the right area so apologies if it isnt

Thanks

Apple MacOS License Agreement - para 2
[quite]This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.[/quote]

In other words - it's illegal (as per that license), even if it would be possible. The fact that you (legally) own the media does not change that, moreover it is already "used" on that old old MacBook.

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
You can't legally run OS X as a guest on a VM unless the host is an Apple-based computer. You're free to install OS X on another hard-drive and use it on the assumption that the original hard-drive isn't being used as a bootable device. While the original hard-drive does have an installation of OS X, it technically isn't in use because it is now technically functioning as a backup device.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

McHenryB

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
The current licence agreement for OS X actually specifies "Apple-branded" rather than "Apple-labeled" computer. I believe this change was made to clear up the ambiguity of exactly what was meant. After all, Apple supplied a couple of labels with each retail copy of Leopard, so stick one of those official Apple labels on a PC and it's an Apple-labeled computer? But the current licence is quite clear - you can only install OS X on a genuine Apple computer.

In reality, you can't legally obtain a copy of recent versions of OS X unless you already own a Mac. So those copies that can be downloaded off the 'net are all pirated. And we don't discuss pirated software here.

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015

Yup, yup -- that's absolutely true. I'm not trying to condone the use of illegally obtained software, but there're situations where a user's questions or responses tend to indicate some sort of foul play. I know that people oughtn't talk about pirated software here, but my message was meant to serve as a warning flag.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Apps General Discussion 3
P Apps General Discussion 18
M Apps General Discussion 1
S Apps General Discussion 6
M Apps General Discussion 9
D Apps General Discussion 2
S Apps General Discussion 2
S Apps General Discussion 5
W Apps General Discussion 4
S Apps General Discussion 1
T Apps General Discussion 1