Volume increased by it's self

offtheroad

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
I have a B&K pre amp and the other day it started to increase in volume by it's self. I had it set to -24dB and when I stopped it, it was at -8. I ask on another forum the question and they said turn off pre amp disconnect AC and turn the volume dial back and forth a couple time. Did that and played it for about 90 minutes and no problem. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico where it's extremely dusty and dry so it's difficult to dust because you just build up more of a static charge. So I clean the top of my components with a damp paper towel. I hesitate to take appear the pre amp because I'm not that confident in myself as to not do more damage.

Either the preamp was responding to a IR signal from a remote other than it's own to turn the volume up or the volume control chip in the B&K caused it due to environment or age or both. Hope it doesn't happen again. You could blow speakers if it gets too loud.
Taking it apart will not help you without a lot of experience in audio repair. You could ground the chassis to a metal water pipe to drain static from it..

offtheroad

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I had disconnected it from AC and turned the volume die back and forth many times. Played it about 90 minutes the last two days and no problem. I live in New Mexico where it is very dusty and very dry so the static charge build up on everything. No really good repair shops here.

offtheroad

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012

I found out it's a software issue with Audirvana Plus. This was told to me on ComputerAudiophile forum. If my speakers get blown I wonder who's at fault?