volume motor for AV receiver barely working how to fix

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
I have a Yamaha RX-V490 AV receiver everything is working except when I try to use the remote control to adjust the volume up or down, it is very slow to change volume so slow that I need to repair or replace it. I know my first angle will be to clean it with something like Deoxit G100 (I read the sticky) I dont know if I can get it posted to me from outside of Australia so I will look more to find it here (AU), the motor is built into the volume trim pot and I dont know where to spray cleaner into to clean it. I will de-solder the part and take some pics to show what the best places might be for cleaner, but for now could I use some home made cleaner that wont damage any parts or contacts and if so what should I make for example isopropyl alcohol and sewing machine oil or some other concoction?

Solution
All fixed now I was able to take the volume trim pot with motor apart, there was four metal tabs holding it together though I wont be able to do it again because those tabs will break off if I bend them to much, it all came apart very easy into separate components which I cleaned them all and put new grease (not engine motor grease) in and put it all back together. I was lucky that the motor was still working and unaffected by the use of it trying to work when it was all jamed up.

GKandRiven

Commendable
May 11, 2016
All fixed now I was able to take the volume trim pot with motor apart, there was four metal tabs holding it together though I wont be able to do it again because those tabs will break off if I bend them to much, it all came apart very easy into separate components which I cleaned them all and put new grease (not engine motor grease) in and put it all back together. I was lucky that the motor was still working and unaffected by the use of it trying to work when it was all jamed up.

Solution