Voom and users of Ebay WARNING

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hello Everyone,

Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a complete
system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set install, since
to get the service, they need to install the system.. I called and said
since I didnt get the system from them, they cant and wont do anything to
install my service. SO People dont get any items from Ebay that is connected
with voom. I have tried to talk to voom and they wouldnt listen also I tried
to email and no answer. so I am out of money and also no voom service and
also they dont have me as customer and I will have to go direct tv and they
will be happy to have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to install.
I wanted voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD programming. I
just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want to stay in business,
they need to think about everyone who wants to pay voom for services.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Well it seems to me if you really want voom you'll actually PAY them what
they're worth. Stop being a cheap bastard and follow the rules.


"Jerry Ackerman" <jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:10alolplbasqod8@corp.supernews.com...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a
complete
> system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set install, since
> to get the service, they need to install the system.. I called and said
> since I didnt get the system from them, they cant and wont do anything to
> install my service. SO People dont get any items from Ebay that is
connected
> with voom. I have tried to talk to voom and they wouldnt listen also I
tried
> to email and no answer. so I am out of money and also no voom service and
> also they dont have me as customer and I will have to go direct tv and
they
> will be happy to have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to
install.
> I wanted voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD programming.
I
> just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want to stay in business,
> they need to think about everyone who wants to pay voom for services.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I cant pay 499 for something that is going to worth less in 6 months and
later on, it not going to cost 499, they dropped the price from 749 or 799.
When I first got direct tv, it was in 1996, it costed 899.00 and now you can
get the same service so cheap that they are giving away the service.
I paid 309 for the system. I think it is a fair price and I have seen people
on ebay bid on the system and spending close to 400.00 to 500 and then
finding out they cant get the service because one group of people are
controlling how you get the service. it is a free country

"Doug" <dseaman8@cox.net> wrote in message
news:IzBqc.73694$Fl5.34697@okepread04...
> Well it seems to me if you really want voom you'll actually PAY them what
> they're worth. Stop being a cheap bastard and follow the rules.
>
>
> "Jerry Ackerman" <jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> news:10alolplbasqod8@corp.supernews.com...
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a
> complete
> > system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set install,
since
> > to get the service, they need to install the system.. I called and said
> > since I didnt get the system from them, they cant and wont do anything
to
> > install my service. SO People dont get any items from Ebay that is
> connected
> > with voom. I have tried to talk to voom and they wouldnt listen also I
> tried
> > to email and no answer. so I am out of money and also no voom service
and
> > also they dont have me as customer and I will have to go direct tv and
> they
> > will be happy to have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to
> install.
> > I wanted voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD
programming.
> I
> > just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want to stay in business,
> > they need to think about everyone who wants to pay voom for services.
> >
> >
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jerry Ackerman" <jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:10alpu3pkis15fd@corp.supernews.com...
: I cant pay 499 for something that is going to worth less in 6 months
and
: later on, it not going to cost 499, they dropped the price from 749 or
799.
: When I first got direct tv, it was in 1996, it costed 899.00 and now
you can
: get the same service so cheap that they are giving away the service.
: I paid 309 for the system. I think it is a fair price and I have seen
people
: on ebay bid on the system and spending close to 400.00 to 500 and then
: finding out they cant get the service because one group of people are
: controlling how you get the service. it is a free country

=============
And they are "free" to operate their business under their rules.
==============
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Jerry Ackerman wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a
> complete system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set
> install, since to get the service, they need to install the system..
> I called and said since I didnt get the system from them, they cant
> and wont do anything to install my service. SO People dont get any
> items from Ebay that is connected with voom. I have tried to talk to
> voom and they wouldnt listen also I tried to email and no answer. so
> I am out of money and also no voom service and also they dont have me
> as customer and I will have to go direct tv and they will be happy to
> have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to install. I wanted
> voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD programming. I
> just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want to stay in
> business, they need to think about everyone who wants to pay voom for
> services.

To be mad a Voom is a little childish. If you bought a piece of AV
equipment from an unauthorized dealer on eBay, would you expect the
manufacturer to honor warranty repairs? If you bought a DirecTV receiver
off eBay, would you expect that DirecTV should install it for free?

Call it an unfortunate learning experience. If you bought insurance from
PayPal for the purchase, then maybe you can make a claim. Or call the
seller and see if you can work out some sort of refund.

--
David G.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Jerry Ackerman wrote:
> I cant pay 499 for something that is going to worth less in 6 months and
> later on, it not going to cost 499, they dropped the price from 749 or 799.
[snip]

If you can't pay that much, THEN DON'T BUY IT! Am I missing
something here? It's not that hard.
 

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
140
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:51:11 -0500, "Jerry Ackerman"
<jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote:

>I cant pay 499 for something that is going to worth less in 6 months and
>later on, it not going to cost 499, they dropped the price from 749 or 799.
>When I first got direct tv, it was in 1996, it costed 899.00 and now you can
>get the same service so cheap that they are giving away the service.
>I paid 309 for the system. I think it is a fair price and I have seen people
>on ebay bid on the system and spending close to 400.00 to 500 and then
>finding out they cant get the service because one group of people are
>controlling how you get the service. it is a free country
>


Being a free country has nothing to do with how a business runs. Being
a free country means they can run their business as they see fit.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jerry Ackerman" <jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:10alpu3pkis15fd@corp.supernews.com...
> I cant pay 499 for something that is going to worth less in 6 months and
> later on, it not going to cost 499, they dropped the price from 749 or
799.
> When I first got direct tv, it was in 1996, it costed 899.00 and now you
can
> get the same service so cheap that they are giving away the service.
> I paid 309 for the system. I think it is a fair price and I have seen
people
> on ebay bid on the system and spending close to 400.00 to 500 and then
> finding out they cant get the service because one group of people are
> controlling how you get the service. it is a free country

You are free to contact the seller and see if he will take it back and
refund your money. You are also free to leave negative feedback if he won't
work with you. Did his ebay listing say anything about installation?

Brad Houser
 

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
598
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Thanks for the warning Jerry.

So you cancel Voom and the hardware goes in a landfill, instead of
being able to be re-used.

Of course they are free to do this, but pretty lame IMO. But then
again the govt. had to force cable operators to let you use your own
equipment.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jerry Ackerman" <jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote in
news:10alpu3pkis15fd@corp.supernews.com:

> giving away the service. I paid 309 for the system. I think it is a
> fair price

You don't get to decide fair price unilaterally. You *and*
the company you are purchasing goods or services from have
to decide *together* what the price will be.

> service because one group of people are controlling how you get the
> service. it is a free country
>

"Free" means exactly that: Voom gets to decide how much to charge,
for service they deliver on their terms, and you get to decide
whether to pay that charge, according to those terms.

End. Of. Story.

It's simple, really.


_______________________________________________________________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
 

duke

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
58
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jerry Ackerman" <jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news:10alolplbasqod8@corp.supernews.com...
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a
complete
> system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set install, since
> to get the service, they need to install the system.. I called and said
> since I didnt get the system from them, they cant and wont do anything to
> install my service. SO People dont get any items from Ebay that is
connected
> with voom. I have tried to talk to voom and they wouldnt listen also I
tried
> to email and no answer. so I am out of money and also no voom service and
> also they dont have me as customer and I will have to go direct tv and
they
> will be happy to have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to
install.
> I wanted voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD programming.
I
> just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want to stay in business,
> they need to think about everyone who wants to pay voom for services.
>
>
>
I had VOOM installed about 2 months ago and it was free. Is it not free
anymore ?

Duke
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Duke wrote:
> "Jerry Ackerman" <jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> news:10alolplbasqod8@corp.supernews.com...
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a
>> complete system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set
>> install, since to get the service, they need to install the system..
>> I called and said since I didnt get the system from them, they cant
>> and wont do anything to install my service. SO People dont get any
>> items from Ebay that is connected with voom. I have tried to talk to
>> voom and they wouldnt listen also I tried to email and no answer. so
>> I am out of money and also no voom service and also they dont have
>> me as customer and I will have to go direct tv and they will be
>> happy to have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to install.
>> I wanted voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD
>> programming. I just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want
>> to stay in business, they need to think about everyone who wants to
>> pay voom for services.
>>
>>
>>
> I had VOOM installed about 2 months ago and it was free. Is it not
> free anymore ?
>
> Duke

I think it might be free if you get the equipment from Voom directly. I
think the OP bought the equipment on eBay and Voom doesn't want to give
him the free installation. Or maybe Voom is not allowing the x-fer of
the equipment. Not really sure.

--
David G.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:29:43 -0500, "Jerry Ackerman"
<jerryackerman@cox-internet.com> wrote:

Uhhh.. why didnt you just call VOOM 1st??

>Hello Everyone,
>
>Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a complete
>system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set install, since
>to get the service, they need to install the system.. I called and said
>since I didnt get the system from them, they cant and wont do anything to
>install my service. SO People dont get any items from Ebay that is connected
>with voom. I have tried to talk to voom and they wouldnt listen also I tried
>to email and no answer. so I am out of money and also no voom service and
>also they dont have me as customer and I will have to go direct tv and they
>will be happy to have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to install.
>I wanted voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD programming. I
>just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want to stay in business,
>they need to think about everyone who wants to pay voom for services.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 08:56:54 -0400, "David G."
<david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:

Ahhhh.. the hell with it... Hey you could sell it on EBay.. just
kiddin

>Jerry Ackerman wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Just want to let people know before they get burned. I purchased a
>> complete system from ebay, new not used system. I called voom to set
>> install, since to get the service, they need to install the system..
>> I called and said since I didnt get the system from them, they cant
>> and wont do anything to install my service. SO People dont get any
>> items from Ebay that is connected with voom. I have tried to talk to
>> voom and they wouldnt listen also I tried to email and no answer. so
>> I am out of money and also no voom service and also they dont have me
>> as customer and I will have to go direct tv and they will be happy to
>> have me as customer. I have direct tv equipment to install. I wanted
>> voom for HD TV and direct tv didnt have alot of HD programming. I
>> just want HD TV. Yes I am mad at VOOM. If they want to stay in
>> business, they need to think about everyone who wants to pay voom for
>> services.
>
>To be mad a Voom is a little childish. If you bought a piece of AV
>equipment from an unauthorized dealer on eBay, would you expect the
>manufacturer to honor warranty repairs? If you bought a DirecTV receiver
>off eBay, would you expect that DirecTV should install it for free?
>
>Call it an unfortunate learning experience. If you bought insurance from
>PayPal for the purchase, then maybe you can make a claim. Or call the
>seller and see if you can work out some sort of refund.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Michael J. Sherman wrote:
> Jerry Ackerman wrote:
>> I cant pay 499 for something that is going to worth less in 6 months
>> and later on, it not going to cost 499, they dropped the price from
>> 749 or 799. [snip]
>
> If you can't pay that much, THEN DON'T BUY IT! Am I missing
> something here? It's not that hard.

Considering you no longer need to buy the equipment..........
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> > I had VOOM installed about 2 months ago and it was free. Is it not
> > free anymore ?
> >
> > Duke
>
> I think it might be free if you get the equipment from Voom directly. I
> think the OP bought the equipment on eBay and Voom doesn't want to give
> him the free installation. Or maybe Voom is not allowing the x-fer of
> the equipment. Not really sure.

You have the option of buying the equipment from Voom, thus saving the
$10 rental fee/month.

I don't see why everyone is so up in arms against the OP, however.
Granted, he probably should have done his homework a bit better, but
what's wrong with buying used equipment for your Satellite service?
He's doing everyone a favor in letting us know Voom won't honor that
equipment.

Frankly, I don't see why Voom won't honor it. They may lose service
because of it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Larry Bud wrote:
> I don't see why everyone is so up in arms against the OP, however.
> Granted, he probably should have done his homework a bit better, but
> what's wrong with buying used equipment for your Satellite service?
> He's doing everyone a favor in letting us know Voom won't honor that
> equipment.
> Frankly, I don't see why Voom won't honor it. They may lose service
> because of it.

I agree. If I'm not mistaken, the issue wasn't whether Voom would provide
free installation of secondary market equipment. The issue was whether
Voom would activate such equipment.

The fact that Voom will not do so means that if you buy Voom equipment,
you're stuck with it even if you end up cancelling the service, and the
only thing you can do with it is dump it in a landfill.

It's one thing for Voom to say "we only provide free installation to the
original purchaser; since you're not the original purchaser you're on your
own to get it installed. Once it is installed, call us with your credit
card details and we'll switch on the receiver."

I have thought about getting Voom, at least temporarily until DirecTV has
for HD channels. But with this information, there is no way in hell that
I'd waste my money on Voom.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
> It doesn't say (nor have I read in any of the follow ups) that they refused
> to authorize the receiver just because it came off ebay or that it's their
> policy.

That's how I interpreted the OP's complaint. If the OP is complaining
that Voom won't install for free, then I agree with the people who are
telling him to stop being silly.

> For Voom to not authorize a receiver just because one of their installers
> didn't do so really doesn't make sense. Would be hard to beleive that
> actually is a policy though.

It doesn't make sense for the OP to complain that Voom wouldn't install a
secondary-market system for free either.

Someone is not making sense, and the OP should clarify himself.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Mark Crispin (mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU) wrote:

: I agree. If I'm not mistaken, the issue wasn't whether Voom would provide
: free installation of secondary market equipment. The issue was whether
: Voom would activate such equipment.

: The fact that Voom will not do so means that if you buy Voom equipment,
: you're stuck with it even if you end up cancelling the service, and the
: only thing you can do with it is dump it in a landfill.

I'm not so sure that fact was established though.

I re-read the OP original message and he seemed to complain about this
(mostly)...

"I called voom to set install, since to get the service, they need to
install the system."

It doesn't say (nor have I read in any of the follow ups) that they refused
to authorize the receiver just because it came off ebay or that it's their
policy.

If it is their policy not to, then it is a blackeye for Voom, but all I see
is the OP bitching about them not wanting to deal with the install, which I
don't blame them (voom).

He should just install it himself then try to get authorization on it, if
they refuse then come back and bitch about that. Direct and Dish will
authorize (turn on) anything, even garage-sale units provided there is no
outstanding balance.

For Voom to not authorize a receiver just because one of their installers
didn't do so really doesn't make sense. Would be hard to beleive that
actually is a policy though.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Mark Crispin <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.61.0405201106010.32289@shiva1.cac.washington.edu>...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
> > It doesn't say (nor have I read in any of the follow ups) that they refused
> > to authorize the receiver just because it came off ebay or that it's their
> > policy.
>
> That's how I interpreted the OP's complaint. If the OP is complaining
> that Voom won't install for free, then I agree with the people who are
> telling him to stop being silly.
>
> > For Voom to not authorize a receiver just because one of their installers
> > didn't do so really doesn't make sense. Would be hard to beleive that
> > actually is a policy though.
>
> It doesn't make sense for the OP to complain that Voom wouldn't install a
> secondary-market system for free either.
>
> Someone is not making sense, and the OP should clarify himself.

Granted. I guess the part I was looking at is

"I called voom to set install, since to get the service, they need to
install the system."

That's how I understood Voom worked as well. They require their techs
to install the system to get service.

OP-Where are you??
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Streaming Video & TVs 0
D Streaming Video & TVs 3
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
M Streaming Video & TVs 4
W Streaming Video & TVs 0
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 5
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 4
G Streaming Video & TVs 4
G Streaming Video & TVs 11
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 29
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 30
JMcEntegart Streaming Video & TVs 20
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 16

ASK THE COMMUNITY