VPN doesn't work with encrypted drives?

_User1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Hello all,

I've been trying to add VPN service on my home network the last couple of days. I have installed the software from Private Internet Access, https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ The software installed fine. My system is Ubuntu 16.04 and the whole drive is encrypted. What happens is that in less than 5 minutes my VPN service disconnects me. The people there told me that it was because I'm trying to install it on an encrypted OS.

I asked if could install the VPN service on a USB drive that's not encrypted, but that wouldn't work either. I do have a Linksys WRT1900 router running DD-WRT. Would it be better to install the VPN service on that?

Seems what PIA solution is to create a user account with no encryption and get the VPN service running that way.

Thanks for any and all help on this and it would be much appreciated. If there's a thread I should have gone to or is helpful, please advice.

Solution

Thanks for your response! What I did was get things working through my router. It has DD-WRT on it and it was rather easy to do. I'm going to be trying different servers of their's pretty soon to see how that will work and how easy it will be to do.

They had me wanting to do things that I really didn't want to do. Like create a user and a partition for it that was not encrypted. Then install their software on that partition. I was just about ready to move on too!

popatim

Splendid
I believe they are just blaming the encryption to get you off the line. Encryption should be nearly invisible to the OS.
its easy enough to test. Pick up a cheap hdd if you dont have one laying around and load ubuntu unecrypted to it and test away.

_User1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

Thanks for your response! What I did was get things working through my router. It has DD-WRT on it and it was rather easy to do. I'm going to be trying different servers of their's pretty soon to see how that will work and how easy it will be to do.

They had me wanting to do things that I really didn't want to do. Like create a user and a partition for it that was not encrypted. Then install their software on that partition. I was just about ready to move on too!

Solution