Wait for Polaris in laptops? And help on Dell.

AcheronHD

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
So im thinking about buying the Dell Inspiron i7559-5012GRY with the UHD touchscreen. The problem is that AMD announced its Polaris cards but im not sure how long it will take until they get here or how much of a performance difference they are going to make. Im mainly waiting to see if the price will drop on this dell. Does anyone know how much the price might drop on the dell? If it will drop at all?

This laptop is mainly for 3D modeling, Photoshop (why I want the 4k screen), and schoolwork (school starts in a week) and maybe some gaming.

Now I know that gaming in 4k on a 960m isn't going to happen so I'm wondering if I can scale down the resolution to 1080p and will it make the games look terrible?

Solution
If you need the laptop right now, go for it. I barely recommend anyone waiting for a new model but since Nvidia is bringing it's desktop class GPUs(1060,1070,1080) to laptops,you "may" want to wait because judging from the early benchmarks,their performance is pretty much identical to the cards used in desktops
As for your questions regarding scaling, no it won't make your games look terrible because the screen isn't big enough to make much of a difference
If you need the laptop right now, go for it. I barely recommend anyone waiting for a new model but since Nvidia is bringing it's desktop class GPUs(1060,1070,1080) to laptops,you "may" want to wait because judging from the early benchmarks,their performance is pretty much identical to the cards used in desktops
As for your questions regarding scaling, no it won't make your games look terrible because the screen isn't big enough to make much of a difference

Solution

Ransunsan

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
While the gtx 960m in your presented laptop is a decent choice for "small" gaming, I would suggest to wait, unless you are in a real hurry. Polaris 11, will bring better gaming experience.
The problem is that we don´t know when the Polaris 11 is available in new laptops.

One note about 4k displays, personally I bought one to my job (to be future proof), but running it in 1080 (full HD) has notably worse graphics, than running games in a native 1080 monitor. While 4k is very detailed when run, it is also heavy.
NOTE, I cannot say nor do I claim that the graphics on your specific laptop is worse in 1080 mode (it is just my own experience).

Also as Maziar notes, nVidia will put out a new series of GPUs, there is more to choose from, and more competition.

While it will take some time (months), I assume the prices must be pushed down.

Polaris 11, is already in the desktop 460 GPU, so I would assume laptop manufacturers are working and testing it too.