Wal-Mart Getting Fancy With New Electronics Area

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

68vistacruiser

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]I might buy from them if there was a great sale going on but I prefer online shopping 99.9%.@asgallantI know for a fact that they get the same products as the electronic outlets. The distro center I worked at received those supposedly "faulty" products and the truck drivers I spoke to had just left best buy... So I don't see how your theory bears any relevance.[/citation]
Actually a lot of Walmart electronics have their own builds just for Walmart. It may be a HP laptop, but it has a cheaper motherboard, cheaper memory modules, slower hard drive, etc. Check the model number carefully.

VChuck

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2003
Meh,The 3 Walmart supercenters that are close to me have inbreds and their trailer trash families hang out in the stores,or working there.
Underwear,maybe a PC game,or whatever.Heh,PC components? definitely out of the question for me.Although a aquaintence,got a good deal on a Sony 48"HDTV on a Black friday deal.I usually shop online

justbrae1

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]VChuck[/nom]Meh,The 3 Walmart supercenters that are close to me have inbreds and their trailer trash families hang out in the stores,or working there.Underwear,maybe a PC game,or whatever.Heh,PC components? definitely out of the question for me.Although a aquaintence,got a good deal on a Sony 48"HDTV on a Black friday deal.I usually shop online[/citation]
Mostly untrue. Go look for yourself. Most of the models are a generation older than the blue box or other high-end electronic stores, not "cheaper" models.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
For computer parts? no.

TV's and the like and the occasional Router/cable etc, if the price is right..

You see, in my town/city, we have Wal Mart and K-Mart....and HHGregg(a Sears too).
So price wise I have WalMart and Kmart....Sears and HH Gregg are pricey, and Kmart has crap for selection.

Best Buy is a 1/2 an hour away, and we have a MicroCenter about an hour and 15 mins away.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
For computer parts? no.

TV's and the like and the occasional Router/cable etc, if the price is right..

You see, in my town/city, we have Wal Mart and K-Mart....and HHGregg(a Sears too).
So price wise I have WalMart and Kmart....Sears and HH Gregg are pricey, and Kmart has crap for selection.

Best Buy is a 1/2 an hour away, and we have a MicroCenter about an hour and 15 mins away.

Unless its considerably more, I would just buy it at Wal Mart and save the wait.

G

I actually work for Walmart in their connection(cellphone) Center. I have also worked for sprint, Verizon, and Metro PCS, And I can tell you at my store the associates are knowledgeable. We do not sell "damaged" products. We carry Dell, HP, Sony, Samsung, Sharp, and many other major brands that are carried in Best Buy. Walmart is actually working really hard to make the electronics dept better. No, we don't have the best prices on some of the items and no store can compare to Online stores. If you don't want to shop there, than don't, but if you are looking for great prices on new electronics than check out your local store.

oh, and the return policy is 90 on tvs and game systems, 15 for computers and mp3 players. We also carry the IPhone.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
After reading some of the other posts, I remember now what it was that an associate lied to me about. It was in regards to a computer game, Prey I think it was. It was being sold for full-price on the shelf, and I hadn't seen it there before, and he said it was a brand new game.

I didn't buy it, and later found out from the aforementioned reliable guy that the game had been buried in the back room and was about a year old, but management wouldn't let him mark it down to an acceptable price, which by then I think was $20 or $30, not $60... and the guy that told me it was a new game KNEW it was an old game too.

But over the years I noticed a lot of the same things that others have mentioned - many models of electronics or TV's are slightly different models, made especially for Wal*Mart and leaving out certain features, or using lower-grade of parts, to keep the price down. This was VERY true during their monthly specials. For their regular merchandise, it was not uncommon for old models to be sold at full price.... and as time went on, it seemed to get worse, not better.

I don't go into there much anymore, but from what I hear from some some of my friends it's still pretty bad.

justbrae1

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]After reading some of the other posts, I remember now what it was that an associate lied to me about. It was in regards to a computer game, Prey I think it was. It was being sold for full-price on the shelf, and I hadn't seen it there before, and he said it was a brand new game.I didn't buy it, and later found out from the aforementioned reliable guy that the game had been buried in the back room and was about a year old, but management wouldn't let him mark it down to an acceptable price, which by then I think was $20 or $30, not $60... and the guy that told me it was a new game KNEW it was an old game too.But over the years I noticed a lot of the same things that others have mentioned - many models of electronics or TV's are slightly different models, made especially for Wal*Mart and leaving out certain features, or using lower-grade of parts, to keep the price down. This was VERY true during their monthly specials. For their regular merchandise, it was not uncommon for old models to be sold at full price.... and as time went on, it seemed to get worse, not better.I don't go into there much anymore, but from what I hear from some some of my friends it's still pretty bad.[/citation]
The game situation sounds like it was your fault, not the associate. Do your research before throwing down money for something.

canceltwc4fios

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
circuit city did not bully vendors into producing an INFERIOR product to sell under the same model number.

wally? no thanks, especially since they won't sell guns in California. NRA boycott in effect.

G

Trying to get warranty through Walmart is brutal. 30 days after purchase, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.