Wanted-simple advice re. correct database format??

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I am trying to build a searchable database with multiple criteria with Excel (2003). However, while my initial research provides me tutorials on how to do this, I am unsure of where it is no longer feasible with Excel, & then time to build with other technology.

I do not wish to spend precious time on attempting this with Excel only to find that it would have been better at the outset to proceed with other technology.

Anyone here oblige me on how to resolve this issue? For example, help me determine what the correct nature of my problem is, then direct me to where I ought to go for assistance, if not here in this forum or site??

Thanks very much.

randomizer

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
You can use an excel spreadsheet as a pseudo-database. However, it's not very efficient and probably a bit unweildy, so you would only want to do so if for some strange reason you needed some Excel-specific functionality and/or you are working with a relatively small dataset and queries that aren't overly complex.

The problem with your question is that you are asking what technology you should be using without really describing what you want to do. You could build a "searchable database" with CSV files if you wanted to. That doesn't mean it's a good (or bad for that matter) idea. Subject to additional information, I'd still lean heavily towards a "proper" database backend such as MySQL, PostgreSQL or MSSQL purely because they are immensely more scalable than a spreadsheet. After all, querying data is what they're built for.

randomizer

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
You can use an excel spreadsheet as a pseudo-database. However, it's not very efficient and probably a bit unweildy, so you would only want to do so if for some strange reason you needed some Excel-specific functionality and/or you are working with a relatively small dataset and queries that aren't overly complex.

The problem with your question is that you are asking what technology you should be using without really describing what you want to do. You could build a "searchable database" with CSV files if you wanted to. That doesn't mean it's a good (or bad for that matter) idea. Subject to additional information, I'd still lean heavily towards a "proper" database backend such as MySQL, PostgreSQL or MSSQL purely because they are immensely more scalable than a spreadsheet. After all, querying data is what they're built for.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Access might be a good choice as long as the OP does not intend to connect it to a web page for queries. Access gets corrupted easily in a multi-user environment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Apps General Discussion 0
N Apps General Discussion 1
D Apps General Discussion 3
M Apps General Discussion 1
J Apps General Discussion 1
S Apps General Discussion 1
J Apps General Discussion 1
K Apps General Discussion 1
M Apps General Discussion 1
G Apps General Discussion 0
A Apps General Discussion 2