Warning: Comcast is Now Throttling Broadband

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]fflam[/nom]no this does not mean you are not getting what you payed for. what you payed for is speeds "up to" but they guarantee speeds far slower. and i would not even doubt there is a statement saying speeds may drop lower if there is "congestion". you are paying for what the user agreement says NOT what the big flashy words say. and no its is not false advertising. here is a clip from the www.comcast.com website"PerformanceDownloads up to 12 Mbps with PowerBoost. A great value!"download "UP TO" not at least, or at. up to.[/citation]
They way they spin it, they make it sound as if you should get those speeds most of the time. 15 minute intervals is not most of the time. It could stand up in court.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Well, here is my first and only necessary reason to never have comcast.

Is it funny that when people move now, we need to check who provides internet in that area first? Recently I helped a buddy move to the northeast, and he wanted to avoid Timer Warner and Comcast, so we had to manually type in addresses in the FiOS "where is it available box" and check maps of other companies service before he decided on what neighborhoods to consider.

Why can't we have cable service be like phone service, where the people own the lines? That way companies could compete in multiple areas and not have to lay redundant lines, which is what keeps them out.

G

LOL Fucking Commiecast is at it again. I thought they already tried to throttle the downloading like years ago but decided to not do it. I hate these guys.

madhumper69

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
WEIRD MY POST WAS REMOVED FOR SOME REASON! because i said that its sad that we have shit ass service in the us and canada, in sweeden and Europe 100mbit uncapped connection is half the cost!

This is like saying to many people use landlines between the weekend lets cap them to a few hrs and throttle the time they are aloud to make calls... this is pathetic, Only way to defeat these company's is to go elsewhere for service to impact their revenue's w but that will never happen not enough people would leave comcast or are aware as to what's going on.

killakenny

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Aussies like me only get 25GB a month at $100 at only 1.5mbps thanks to bigpond. comcast is starting to be like bigpond.

intesx

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I understand that throttling illicits a serious backlash amongst users... and to an extent I can understand where that backlash is coming from... but as a user who has lived in certain neighborhoods, and suffered 700kbps download speeds on my 15Mbps plan because of network congestion (probably due to a few users using more than their fair share) I have to say that in some cases a perfectly valid argument could be made for connection throttling. In some (maybe even most) cases, they should get their checkbook out and upgrade their capacity. In others, the same argument could be made for throttling.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well looks like i'll be asking for my 10bucks a month extra back as well as asking for credit for the months i payed and it was throttled :) i mean wtf do they offer a speed bump for 10bucks extra? not like i need 16mb bandwidth to read msnbc.com or tomshardware.com

klyndt

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I upgraded Ubuntu, and Comcast throttled my connection for 8 hours. It should not have taken even a small fraction of that time to get 1GB of files, but when I got throttled to 15kB per sec, it takes all day. Bastards!

trkorecky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]Who said you were a pirate? It's just for network management. Pirating has nothing to do with it. It's about preventing a couple heavy users from effectively causing other subscribers from getting horrible performance for what they, also, paid for.Also, the 70% threshold is UPSTREAM. If you read the paper, the threshold for DOWNSTREAM is 80%.[/citation]

The ludicrous monthly fee millions of subscribers pump into Comcast's greedy hands a months is more than enough for them to do their jobs of actual network maintenance - installing more hardware so we get what we actually pay for. Such bullshit.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I was wondering the same thing about Netflix. Although I'm a Verizon DSL subscriber @768KB/s I still watch Netflix. I don't want to be throttled, and lose the ability to watch Netflix. I hope Verizon doesn't do the throttling. I always wondered what my Megabyte or Gigabyte usage is a month, is there a way to find out?

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
what really gets me is the cable company is allowed to tell me i'm paying for "this big number right here" but when i never ever get that big number then they of course say, Oh, only some will get the big number but we definitely guarantee you this little number over here (20% of the big number).

and now theyre throttling the little number? even harder than they were before? my speed actually drops to about 10% of that little number for longer downloads (5 minutes or more). that's right, when i use my cable internet i get a sustained 284k stream. but what i pay for is, 10 Mbs.

so i'm actually paying $65/mo for a 284k stream. so i guess i'm the idiot here. making some CEO's jaguar payments for them.

i should just switch to another cable company right ... now lessee ... who would that be? oh thats right, none. cable companies are still monopolies. legal monopolies.

i cant wait for FiOS here. cant wait.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]liquid0h[/nom]Are you a member of Comcast's marketing dept?[/citation]
No. Just a user who does not live in a fantasy world where there is infinite bandwidth. I have to laugh at almost every comment here. Everyone wants unlimited bandwidth, while they would be the first crybabies to scream if they were slowed down by a neighbor who was using their connection in this way. Much as I dislike many things about Comcast, it does not make me forget that bandwidth is finite (like everything else in life).

issar85

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
With the economy the way it is right now, companies should be investing in themselves, upgrading their infrastructure so that when the economy does bounce back (eventually), they are right there in front ready to serve. Instead, telecomm companies seems to be initiating policies that alienate the customers they have. They feel they can do this because in most areas, they have monopoly on their services so consumers feel they have to buy from them or do without.

Status
Not open for further replies.