Warning - Latest Logitech Gaming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad88

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I went through so much trying figure out what was wrong with my PC. How everything happened made it complicated to figure out what was going on. First I got a new GPU, and the day after a liquid cooler for my CPU. I then tested my cpu and gpu for some overclocking options. I ran all the software to figure out if everything would be OK. I proceeded with a system wipe to start fresh. That's when everything went wrong...

At first, after installing a few windows updates, drivers and software, I would click on a folder or any icon on my desktop and then the desktop would freeze. Nothing related to use of the desktop was possible for about 30-45 seconds. I thought it might be a driver, maybe the overclocking, maybe the software... As there was no good system restore point, I formatted once more. I did things in such an order to pin point what was causing the issue. Driver after driver, update after update, I constantly checked if the issue would happen with and without overclocking. I never picked up on what exactly I was doing just before the problems would occured. After having installed every windows update, every driver, and making sure everything was up to date, I would then start installing software. As most software does not require a system restart I just keep missing out on the root of the problem.

The problem happened again... I formatted again... The problem happened again...

I decided to let go of Windows 8.1 and go back to Windows 7.

Damn, the issues persisted, but on Windows 7 it was completely different. Instead of a freezing desktop, I would get a blue screen crash. I used the system restore point that was saved right after completing the fresh windows installation. I installed half of the windows updates, all the drivers, and practically no software, only the simple stuff like --- logitech gaming software ---

No problems appeared at first, so I decided to run some tests. IntelBurnTest - OK, Prime95 - OK, Memtest86 - OK... So, after completing about 12 hours of Memtest86, with no errors, I decide to proceed with installing everything. Once on the desktop, I would get a screeching noise in the place of the standard windows click sound (when you press back/forward on the task bar, opening folders...) Ok, so I unplug my headset, reboot, and then plug back in my headset. Nope, screeching noise remained. Then I thought, maybe I'll look into my sound card drivers and sound options. Everything was fine, so I decide to look up if anyone was having issues with the logitech gaming software... A new anomaly occurred... My mouse wheel barely workerd, and then at some point stopped working completely. I restart my PC, unplug the mouse, and then tested the mouse wheel once more... Nope, mouse wheel was a non existent function... I couldn't bare the idea of a possible hardware problem such as my MOBO or RAM... Which had been my fear the whole time I was trying to figure out the issue... Maybe I had shorted something on the motherboard while installing the liquid cooler, or maybe I messed up while overclocking and killed something. I decide that the problems are all to familiar now... Everything was happening due to mouse or keyboard input, and the headset which wasn't working was the enlightenment ... The moment I uninstalled the Logitech Gaming Software, my headset worked, the mouse wheel did it's job... No more crashing...

I have no idea if this issue is particular to me. But the fact that bad things were happening on both operating systems, all the tests were coming up with no errors, and the final fact of everything working properly after uninstalling logitechs gaming software, makes me believe it is the root of the problem. Now, before the question is asked, before having installed my new GPU and then formatting, I was running an older version of the software, I had never updated it. When I had browsed logitechs website and went to re-download the software, I noticed it had been updated April, 17th. This is the reason why it didn't become clear, the software had never caused any issues before, but that was with the older version...

Here is what I think. At some point I believed the errors were happening after installing the overclocking tools, more specifically, IntelBurnTest. IntelBurnTest requires dotnet framework 3.5 to run. I had noticed during one of the fresh windows installations that the problem occurred directly after opening IntelBurnTest, as it required dotnet framework 3.5, which would then have windows ask me to download the software. This exact situation happened when using Windows 8.1. It may have happened this way also on Windows 7, but I do not want to test it. Maybe there is something interfering between dotnet framework 3.5 and the logitech gaming software.

If anyone else is experiencing issues with the logitech gaming software, please let me know!

If errors or bugs start happening again with my PC, I will keep this post updated as I do not want to accuse a software of being faulty if my problems end up happening again...

ad88

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I can now confirm that this was 100% the source of the problem. I have contacted logitech and had them pass the information up to engineering. Now, the only thing that remains is finding out if I am not the only person that experienced issues with the latest version of Logitech Gaming Software.

@Ad88, it seems that either you have somethinkg wrong with the hardware, or something wrong with your install media, or some recurring virus.

Set your computer to stock settings (i.e. no overclocking from BIOS). Disconnect from network (unplug the cable)
Get genuine Windows isntall media
Install Windows, install drivers, and nothing else. Do you still have problems?

ad88

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Not trying to be rude, but did you read the entire post?

I ran everything possible to detect if I had any faulty hardware.

I formatted and used 2 different OS'.

Everything I did led to problems after the installation of Logitech Gaming Software. I spent a lot of time trying to find the problem. Once LGS was uninstalled, all the problems went away. I proceeded with another format and went through installing every driver, update and software I use with the exception of LGS and there are no more problems. I pushed boundaries by running IntelBurnTest while running a graphic intensive game. I tried everything to get the crashing/bugs to happen, but they just won't. LGS is easily my conclusion. But wait, here's the punch. I re-installed LGS just for the shits and giggles. Oh boy, what a bad idea. Honestly, it might not affect everyone, maybe no one else, but LGS was 100% of my problem.

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:Hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

I read the question and the answers.
When it's resolved by Logitech, could you be so kind and let us known?

Well, here are some links to go for:

https://www.google.nl/#q=Logitech+gaming+software+issues+Windows+8

Might be that you have more luck with the version typed behind Logitch gaming software, maybe type x32 or x64 too.

Hopefully I let you known enough, that you will find (well, the fixed the solution fastest) the answers you seek! :)

(I know how much work it is and how frustrating it can be, so..)
Good luck and have fun doing it! :)

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

Status
Not open for further replies.