WARNING: Today's PS3 Update Will Kill Your Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Not that I agree with what Sony is doing cause taking away features is just ridiculous, but doesn't every PS3 owner who has installed linux on the PS3 also have another linux pc somewhere?

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
the ps3 dash hacks site has a proxy server thing which lets you by pass it. i am using it and works fine. takes like couple of seconds to set up everything.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Not that I agree with what Sony is doing cause taking away features is just ridiculous, but doesn't every PS3 owner who has installed linux on the PS3 also have another linux pc somewhere?[/citation]
Not about that... ultimately, it's about freedom of choice.

krzyinuyasha

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
For those who read this you can keep linux and still access PSN without updating. If you search around there's tutorials on how to use the old PS3 Proxy bypass to trick the PSN servers into thinking you have the latest update. I'm currently using this seeing how i use linux and play PSN games. I'm not sure how long this bypass will work for but it is an option until a CFW is released. also i have to say i am very disapointed in sony for this i've been a long time follower but now i question my loyalty over this.

adelinaiscute

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I think everyone needs to relax. There's now a possibility that we can finally pirate games on PS3 and we have a legitimate reason to as well.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]adelinaiscute[/nom]I think everyone needs to relax. There's now a possibility that we can finally pirate games on PS3 and we have a legitimate reason to as well.[/citation]
Don't give me that bullshit.

I normally don't care about people pirating, but in this case piracy on the PS3 would spell doom for Custom software. GeoHot isn't interested in it, and neither am I. In the horrid outcome that people start PS3 Piracy, Sony will work to destroy all CFW regardless of it purpose and intent.

They may try initially, but if they find there isn't any CFW that allows piracy, they may ease up, maybe even meet the community half way, realizing their reaction was inappropriate.

indran1412

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Sony said that the new update was not compulsory, but without updating their console surely people cant sign in to PSN.For me this looked like forced update.

G

well no shit moron. but does linux work anymore? oh i'm sorry plasmastorm you wouldn't know cuz you're AVATARDED DEDEEERRRRR!!!! wow. i hate all of you.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Ever wonder why mac owners don't complain about their inability to use other programs? It's because they're used to not having much choice to begin with, for them, it's the status quo. And I'm not saying that in a negative way, it's just the truth.

If you don't want your userbase being angry at you for having less choices, don't give them choices to begin with only to take them away later.

bonznumber1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
well for the time being i have found a workaround for 3.21 to bypass the need to update I re-posted it on my site here's the link

http://www.bonznumber1.com/gaming-consoles/ps3/update-ps3-to-3-21-and-keep-otheros/

follow this and you'll be good to go until Sony requires at least 3.21 for there games

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS