Web browser error/malware need help asap.

Misterious92

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
i have a problem and I can't find anything on Google

Both my desktop and laptop connected on the same network doesn't allow me to use my web browser at all. When ever I use google chrome a thing pops up telling me my free trial for chrome is over and I need to pay a premium which to me is a malware. I ran a scan and checked if there are any extensions or newly downloaded things but nothing. When I try to go to google I get a error called net::err_cert_authority_invalid and you connection is not private. My date and clock are perfect and both computers are up to date.

Misterious92

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I forgot to add I know my internet works because I can still go on steam and Skype. My desktop is plugged in with Ethernet but it says it's not connected to the internet but I can get on steam and talk to people

Misterious92

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
Im thinking that its not my computer infected with malware but maybe my network or router. Its odd that any device that connects to the router has the same problem, wireless or ethernet. Only thing that is different is if i connected with my phone it doesnt show the malware and only says i cant connect to the internet. Is there something that can scan my router also instead of just my computer. I got back from a trip not long ago so my laptop shouldnt have any sort of malware on it but connecting to my internet just doesnt work. Right now im sitting at a starbucks connected to their wifi and everything works fine. So i really thing something on my network is not right. I gave my IPS a call and everything was fine on both ends. How can i scan my network/router for malware

Oh! I missed that it was happening to multiple PCs.

Are you able to connect to the internet via just a modem, without the router (I realise sometimes the modem is part of the router)? This could narrow it down between your network and your ISP's.

It could also be someone's misguided idea of a AF joke...

Misterious92

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. I was going to try plugging it directly into the router which i should have to test if my router was infected. The router i have is the Asus RT-N66U. I ended up reseting the router and that did the trick. However i noticed that it wass still a bit slow so i reset the router and wiped my hard drives and installed webroot malware protection. Now its working fine. Oh before i wiped my HD i noticed playing some games there was a strange lag. Also when trying to use OBS to stream obs couldnt connect to twitch. I had a weird feeling that my IP or something was messed up. But after reformatting and resetting my router everything seems betteer.