Website to buy replacement AC Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
My AC Charger for my Y450 Lenovo laptop stopped working today. Is there anywhere reliable to buy replacements online in canada? I need something with fast shipping and reliable (ebay is too slow shipping to canada).

Solution

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company in the UK...

NOOOOOO !!!

Higher is NOT OK, not unless you want a burnt out charging system or motherboard...

You NEED the correct Voltage and wattage, amperage does not matter if its more , but the other 2 do...

Get the CORRECT charger or its going to be a VERY expensive mistake....(ever seen a laptop with smoke pouring out of the charging hole ...

chad2625

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Amazon is the best bet period then. Here is what I found when I searched of Y450 Lenovo charger . As long as your model is listed you should be fine. Avoid getting the cheapest one you can get though, as they tend to be made cheaply, they can get extremely hot, and burn out easily. if possible get one that is UL listed and or from lenovo

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Problem is that none of them seem to ship to canada. Seems to be exclusively to the US.

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
One that I'm looking at has a higher wattage, voltage and amps. Is that ok or do they need to be the same? Someone told me if it's higher that will be ok because the computer will only take as much as it needs. I want to order this one because it is shipping within north america (all others seem to be coming from china so will be slow to arrive).

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company in the UK...

NOOOOOO !!!

Higher is NOT OK, not unless you want a burnt out charging system or motherboard...

You NEED the correct Voltage and wattage, amperage does not matter if its more , but the other 2 do...

Get the CORRECT charger or its going to be a VERY expensive mistake....(ever seen a laptop with smoke pouring out of the charging hole ?? I have many times when customers demonstrated their "new charger" that they bought really cheaply on Ebay)

All the best Brett :)

Solution

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

You seem very knowledgeable about this stuff. This charger should work right? Voltage is the same, I think wattage is the same (not quite sure because I don't know what my wattage on my original is). Amps are higher which should be ok right?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-Lenovo-Adapter-Charger-IdeaPad-g555-u450p-y450-y460-y530-y550-y560-y650-/370586509077?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item5648ad5f15

techman_87

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

I would recommend you this Anker item,
http://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Adapter-PackardBelll-EasyNote-IdeaPad/dp/B004BU5OB0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1343730400&sr=8-4
I bought one adapter for my laptop from this seller about 10 months ago and it still works perfectly.
BTW, their customer service is really nice, they answered my query rather fast.

chad2625

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

It is stock Lenovo item so I would assume that it would work. I would say as long as it is the same voltage it should be fine. Since wattage= Volts X AMPS, and unless I am mistaken your device will only pull as many AMP's as it needs then you should be fine. For example I use a 120 watt charger from my HP-g7, I thought it might Charge the thing faster, but it does not. Infact the charger only puts out 65 Watts, wich is the standard wattage for my laptop. It could just be my laptop, I dont think so. There are some advatages to running a higher wattage adapter, First of all it should produce less heat, as it is running at a lower load than it was desgined for. Second it should last longer, again because it is running at less of a load. On the other hand you could get lucky and your laptop accept a higher wattage charger, and charge faster.

This is a 90 watt charger, I would go to Lenovo's website, with a model number of your laptop, if they list a 90 watt charger then your safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.