Websites too narrow at 1080p

Edrulesok

Estimable
Apr 19, 2014
Hi. I just upgraded my monitor from 1360x768 to 1920x1080. The problem is when I am viewing webpages, they are too narrow, and there are spaces at the sides. I have consulted some of my friends who use 1080p and they say they don't have this problem.
Photos below:
screenwtf_zps0e147422.png

damnitscreen_zps776c8b7d.png

Any help is appreciated

Solution

I think you'll find that your friends don't see it as a problem and so don't know they have it. With a wide layout you end up with wide (and hard to read) paragraphs, too much space in between content or simply too much content. Most websites leave large amounts of space on the sides to avoid this. Obviously there are use cases for wide layouts, but you'll probably run into these more in web applications rather than a website.

randomizer

Distinguished

I think you'll find that your friends don't see it as a problem and so don't know they have it. With a wide layout you end up with wide (and hard to read) paragraphs, too much space in between content or simply too much content. Most websites leave large amounts of space on the sides to avoid this. Obviously there are use cases for wide layouts, but you'll probably run into these more in web applications rather than a website.

Solution