Weird boot event occurs when updating AMD gpu drivers on Dell Inspiron 5545

tzoukritzou

Commendable
May 9, 2016
Hi,
I have a Dell Inspiron 5545 with dual graphics, AMD R6 and R7 M265DX (APU). I have Windows 10 64bit and i updated to the latest AMD drivers (crimson). Then this strange issue occured; Everytime i pressed the power button to power up my pc, it shut down at the boot screen. The second time I pressed the power up, it would boot normally, with the exception that the boot time would be really longer. I figured out that it could be a gpu drivers problem, so I uninstalled them and indeed, the boot time returned back to normal and the issue with the boot shutdown went away, so I went back again to Windows update drivers. However, the Windows drivers are really bad as far as games are concerned, while the new crimson drivers play games great. Consequently, I don't want to stick with the Windows drivers but prefer to fix the issue with the new ones. To prevent unecessary answers, I have already tried the drivers from the Dell support page and their performance is bad compared to the crimson ones, so all I want to do is fix this boot isuue with the new ones. Any ideas?
Thank you for your time.

Solution
Laptop graphics are only supported by the laptop vendor, going from their official drivers or changing the operating system can cause issues. Uninstall the reference AMD drivers, get the drivers from the Laptop support site. Note that this may not work after you installed the AMD drivers, in that case you'd have to do a factory restore on the laptop to original settings.
Hi,

Have you tried doing a clean install of the graphics card driver?
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to AMD.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot, do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

tzoukritzou

Commendable
May 9, 2016

I used to do the drivers uninstall process with Display Driver Uninstaller tool but I gave your way a try. However, the same boot issue persists...

tzoukritzou

Commendable
May 9, 2016
UPDATE: I figured out that the boot issue occurs when I have the option "Enable AMD Radeon Dual Graphics" selected at the control center. When I checked on "Disable", the boot problem went away and it booted as it should. However, it can't play games like this, so is there any idea for what should be done in order to get this bug fixed?
Thank you

Laptop graphics are only supported by the laptop vendor, going from their official drivers or changing the operating system can cause issues. Uninstall the reference AMD drivers, get the drivers from the Laptop support site. Note that this may not work after you installed the AMD drivers, in that case you'd have to do a factory restore on the laptop to original settings.

Solution