Solved! Weird clicking/cracking sound on any audio only when laptop is on battery

Vadrif

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
As the title says, my Windows 10 Home version 1709 Dell Inspiron 7577 laptop makes a weird noise whenever any audio plays (such as a notification, music player, any sort of sound) only on battery. This does not occur while the charger is in.

To better describe the sound, it sounds like a pop of some sort.. I can't really be accurate, but it sounds weird.

There does seem to be a small interval, as in:
1. I'm not playing anything for about a minute
2. A notification comes or I play audio - the sound occurs*
3. I pause the audio and resume it within a very few seconds - no sound
4. I pause the audio and wait for around 50~60 seconds I hear the same sound but in a very low volume.
5. I resume the audio - the sound occurs

My hypothesis is that it could be related to battery saving, through turning off the speakers/headphones after a while of no usage, but when it turns them on again it gives that annoying sound.

* I've also found out that using the device manager's *scan for hardware changes* after the interval of no audio passes, it would do the weird noise, then the interval restarts (meaning that if I played audio afterwards within a very few seconds it won't make the weird noise).
Also, opening battery saver settings does the same effect.

Kisianik

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Solution