Weird "crackling" sound from Dell Inspiron 15" 3537

AntonDanik

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Have the same problem, as described here http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19601642?db=5 .

(Whenever it gets switched on, it makes a weird crackling noise. The noise seems to be an issue, because it only happens when the laptop is plugged in AC without battery, or plugged in AC with battery fully charged. As soon as i pull the plug, the noise stops. Or when i close the program that uses the HD radeon graphics.

Description and source of noise : It sounds like a noise that caused by electricity. The closer sound that i found to describe it, is from bicycling when stop doing pedals. (youtube.com/watch?v=ajFdrfOc5As&t=0m3s) The noise probably caused by the GPU Radeon HD 8850m. It comes from somewhere in the middle of laptop when it is plugged in AC and the battery is fully charged. The noise stops when battery is still charging or when its disconnected from power. (Probably because the laptop uses DC then)

Also, the noise starts as soon as i open a program that is set to use the HD radeon card. For example during a game, the sound is continuous and it pauses a bit during loading screens. On Photoshop, it only appears when i draw a line, or paint something and then pauses. So basically, the GPU emits that noise whenever it gets used and is under AC power.

Is there any fix for this issue? Or most importantly, is this going to cause any harm to the GPU or laptop in general?)

Please, please, please help me.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- First do try to do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Please use the link below for the complete guide on how to do the clean install of the graphics driver.
- http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Once the latest driver has been installed do observe if you'll have the same issue.
- If the same problem will persist, you may need to open the inside of your laptop to check if there are dust causing the crackling sound.
- If the laptop is still under the factory warranty I would suggest contacting Dell for a service.

AntonDanik

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Those "sounds" occurred after the cleaning in the service center. (cleaning and thermal paste replacement ). So, i will try to recover drivers, but suppose that problem somewhere else. The expert, who cleaned my laptop, just said that i should not worried about these sounds, but i am worried if some laptop components damaged.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Try the followiing
Click on the battery icon in the bottom right and then turn off Power Saver mode. This may take away the crackling noise. Power Saver lowers the processing power so it's not enough to handle video properly. Have a go and let us know.

AntonDanik

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016

Not working (i am not using saving mode while playing hard games)

AntonDanik

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016

Not working, the same buzz noise. Suppose i should disturb those cleaning master additional time. ((

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

As the noise is generated only with mains plugged in first rule out you have no loose wiring or failing components within the power brick? Are you able to borrow another power brick with same specs as this could be generated from a failing capacitor within your power supply brick or an on-board capacitor in the laptop. It may just be software related as previously suggested. It's often a process of elimination. Check recent updates to your laptop sometimes restoring your laptop to a previous date can clear up software issues causing strange behaviour also check you have no loose memory or hard-disk/ssd card.

AntonDanik

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016

This sound is not coming from HDD (HDD sounds much quiet). Generated sound is significantly louder when laptop sourced by Power Supply. (When it sourced just by battery - sound is quite and possibly it is normal. I mean that to hear it someone need "to keep one's ears open"). Ok, i will try to use some "restore point", but i am not sure that it helps.

P.S. Sorry for mine English, not my native language.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

Is the noise getting generated through speakers at anytime if so if you mute the speakers can you still hear any noise.
I'm also wondering if when is was cleaned did the fan on the GPU get knocked/causing faulty fan or the thermal paste cracked or loosend causing the fan to struggle on cooling.
You say the noise is coming from the middle of the laptop looking at a photo of you motherboard the GPU and memory are both near the middle. Try running built in diagnostics I've run on a dell before should be by pressing F12 during boot up.

AntonDanik

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016

Noise coming not from the speakers, but from the top-middle part of laptop. It is not looks like it generated by fan. I have already run the test, and it shows all is fine.