Weird issue with static. New headset and DAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrotti

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
My PC in case it helps: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/B69j4C

I just got a fiio e10k and an audio technica ath-ag1x. The headset comes with a splitter for plugging in the mic and headset. When I plug the headset into the DAC I have no issues with the standard cord or the headphone half of the splitter. However if I plug the mic portion of the splitter in I instantly start getting static and feedback. I can hear my PC working and even when I use the scroll wheel on my mouse I can hear that. There are no issues with the mic, only the sound coming through the headphones. HELP!

Solution
some people love the wing, some people hate it. guess you are the latter.

loud buzzing could be ground loop which would not be the headsets fault. a ground loop isolator may have worked. i can say for sure but this might have been the case.

agreed, $250 is too much for a headphone based on the $74 ad500x or $105 ad700x. actual market value would be more in the $150 range.
e10k = headphone only
no provisions for mic
external dac+amp units are soley meant for outputting stereo sound to headphones

mic side of the headset would need to go to the pc onboard
one benefit of using a soundcard is that they have provisions for mic, headphones and have software but the con is that for the price, headphone quality is normally better on external dac+amps.

i thought i touched upon soundcards in your thread but i answer so many i could be wrong.

in any case here is your problem. likely the "splitter" you are referring to is going from two 3 pole (count the parts of the plug.. Tip, ring, sleeve) to a single 4 pole (tip ring ring sleeve). this is meant for things like phones or console use which use a combined headphone/mic jack. the jack on the e10k is headphone only so is 3pole. trying to plug in a combined plug is going to result in issues.

plug just the headphones in to the e10k and the mic into the onboard.

Hydrotti

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

I am short on time right now, but I am plugging the mic into the PC and the headphone into the E10K. Still getting static just when the mic portion is plugged in. Not static in my mic, but rather into my audio in my headphones.

Hydrotti

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

If I am only plugged into the PC with both the Mic and headphones it is fine. Out of every possible connection the only thing that produces static is headphone -> E10K and Mic -> PC. It isn't just a light static, it is fairly pronounced and the static gets louder when I do ANYTHING on my computer.

I enjoy the sound much more with the E10K, so much so I will probably return the headphones and DAC if I can't use it as The headset itself isn't worth that kind of money.

Thanks for your help once again and I actually ordered this setup before I saw your first response XD I just didn't want to say anything at first because I wanted your honest opinion. Now that it's here I figured I would test it out, but your advice was right.

hmm.

could be usb bus noise maybe. have you tried using different usb ports? (or changing from say a usb 3 to a usb2?). likewise does it work on another device (pc or laptop via usb).

how about using a ground loop isolator? (for 3.5mm or usb). what you described doesnt sound like a ground loop problem but perhaps.

your thoughts on the ag1 (ad500x) are that its not worth the kind of money they charged (one reason i recommend going with headphones+mic pairs for them most of the time) but are you happy with the kind of sound or is there something lacking? it seems you may be a bit unhappy?

we can get them working on your system likely once we figure out the issue.

Hydrotti

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

So I have tried all USB ports on the PC and they all work fine, except with the issue at hand. I did just hook it up to my laptop and it had the same mic issue except it was even worse as the mic picked up nasty static as well.

I do not have access to a ground loop isolator right now so I can not test that as of now.

So I think my thoughts on the ag1 may be a bit skewed due to the fact that I have used them with the DAC and without it they sound a bit hollow or lack luster. I knew going in that I am paying more for a mic+headphone setup but I took a leap as I did not find a good add on mic solution in terms of the extra cord annoyance, as nobody seemed to offer a good way to combined the cords or keep it out of the way. I would be open to a desk mic if I wasn't moving back to collage and dealing with a very small desk. However I did not realize the ag1 was a re branded 500x, until you told me in my previous post, which is a lower model than I expected.

What I am trying to say is if I can fix this problem I will probably be happy with this setup as I do not have to bother with an add on mic, but I still think about the fact its only a 500x.... There is a chance I could end up returning it, and I most likely will return the headset and DAC if I can't figure this out. If it comes to that I could try a headphone/mod mic solution. I just wish I could go with a open back headphone as I know they are a bit better and there are way more options, but as I stated before I will be sharing a small room and I hear they leak a lot of sound.

Once again thanks for your help! I am going to keep saying it as I don't want you to forget how much I appreciate it.

if they sound a bit hollow it could be your onboard audio amplification is very poor. they are easy to drive but its not unheard of for onboard to be that bad. perhaps the whole problem is your onboard being bad and giving you static...

in which case i revise my earlier comment and stress testing it out on another computer to see if thats the case.

so modmic doesnt work for you? people sleeve the cable to the headphone one so its about the same as one.

its either the 500x or 700x... hard to tell which but based on the experts on head fi who looked at them.. thats what they believe.

open back headphones do leak noise, but unless you have the volume cranked up its not terrible outside of a few feet away.

Hydrotti

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Well I just did something I should have done earlier which was plug in my old steelseries headset which also has a separate headphone and mic plug. With the 9H I can plug in the headphones to the DAC and the mic to the PC with no problems.

Also I have researched my on board audio before and people say it is quite good. It just cant keep up with a dedicated DAC/AMP.

And now I just found that when I plug my AG1X's into the line out port there is less static than from the headphone port.

hmm.. i'd still be interested to hear if using them on other pc has any difference.

given the e10k works with your other headset there are TWO things im thinking.

A) perhaps a defective headset? (ag1x)
B) perhaps you just cannot hear static on your other headset which is not as detailed.

you say static, but is this all the time or is it when playing certain songs for example?

Hydrotti

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

Oops did not mean to select answer...

And I did say on my laptop the static was worse than on my desktop.

The static was a very loud and pronounced buzzing and all sorts of noises which included hearing a electronic sounding scroll when I scrolled on my mouse. It was odd as hell. When I listened to anything of decent volume the static was drowned out.

I am using past tense because I decided to return the headset and use my old headset with the DAC atleast for now. The price was too steep in my opinion for that headset. Not to mention the god awful 3D wing system..

some people love the wing, some people hate it. guess you are the latter.

loud buzzing could be ground loop which would not be the headsets fault. a ground loop isolator may have worked. i can say for sure but this might have been the case.

agreed, $250 is too much for a headphone based on the $74 ad500x or $105 ad700x. actual market value would be more in the $150 range.

Solution

nikojii

Prominent
Feb 8, 2017
Having the same problem. I think it's due to the microphone and headphones sharing ground. I'm using V-Moda BoomPro and it has TRRS jack and a splitter to two TRS jacks. Recording microphone input revealed that the noise frequency is from 1kHz up every 1k, so it peaks at 1kHz, 2kHz, 3kHz, 4kHz and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.