Weird laptop dedicated GPU usage

Foxxy2012

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello!
First of all, the laptop in cause is an Asus X550JX-XX129D with a nVidia GT950M GPU, 4GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD, Intel Core i5-4200H processor(with built in Intel HD Graphics 4600).
Whenever I am not using the dedicated graphics card, like during anything other than games, I see it having a weird behavior when reported by MSI Afterburner. It's not just that app, I'm seeing the same behavior when looking at the GPU through GPU-Z and CPU-Z, so it's not the software being bad, I can assume. What it does is basically its temperature is shown for 4-5 seconds, then for the next second it drops to 0 and this repeats over and over. On the usage chart, the usage is always 0, but max usage is being shown as some crazy number, well over the millions(usage is shown in terms of percentage, of course, so it makes no sense).
Below is an image of the MSI Afterburner hardware monitor chart. GPU1 is the dedicated GPU with said issues.
2n6rok2.png

I'm not sure what this means, but it worries me so I don't want to let it be. Any help, please?

Hi,

I would suggest doing a clean install of the graphics card driver first that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to AMD.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Foxxy2012

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Already did a clean install. I had the option to do so when nVidia GF Experience prompted me for an update. I chose to clean install it so it uninstalled everything nVidia related.
Any other ideas? By the way, it's nVidia, not AMD.