Weird sound coming from laptop

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Hello!
My asus k53sc is making really weird noises. I already tried this: Plugging in a different hdd, removing the dvd drive & cleaning the fan with compressed air. Also, something that I think could be the issue is that I recently bought a new charger for the laptop (old one died after 6 years) but it started smoking and smelling after 3-4 days. It wasn't an original charger. I really don't know what I could do and if it can harm the laptop :(

Solution
Sometimes some lubricant on the fan bearings helps, if that's the cause. Otherwise replacement fans are usually pretty cheap, it's just a matter of finding a compatible replacement and the labor.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
I already cleaned the fan btw. With that I mean the bearrings and blades themself. It's also not loose or anything. Will remove the keyboard sometime soon to check if the fan is stuck on something. I'm not gonna spend 20 euro's on a 6 years old laptop. But once I have enough free time I will post it here.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
I don't have lubricant lying around. A new fan is a bit cheaper so I will probaly do that. Also, the smoking charger has burnt my mb at the cable of the power button. Not sure if that can be the issue though.. not gonna buy a new charger till I got the laptop fixed. At least they gave me the money back :D

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Oh god I already found it... not sure how but the cmos battery was loose in the fan :p now it works normal. I cancelled the order of the fan since it's not needed anymore

Edit: Sound is back! Cmos battery is now just where it belongs.

Zapthos

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

Instead of lubricant I tried some sewing machine oil and it seams to work.. I still ordered the fan in case it happens again. $8 isn't really something I would miss.