Announcement Welcome to the Tom's Guide Community!

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 19, 2021
Greetings to all from Puerto Rico. Even though I have been living here (originally a Spaniard) since 1995, still cannot bear the heat.

I guess this is the successor to Hardwareanalysis. Any place to get 'together' and discuss these topics is always great.

Best of luck to all, and keep healthy,

Aug 16, 2021
Hello Guys,

I work in IT industry/Linux/system administration/cloud etc.. and obsessed with DIY things.
Electronics, Masonary whatever,... ( jack of all :p ).
Currently converting 10year old laptop to transparent desktop.

Aug 26, 2021
Hello, I'm Dale a very long time computer guy, IBM and more. I use Win 10 on 3 systems and have 2 iPhones. I've read stuff on Tom's many times, and finally got around to joining.
PS It's HOT in AZ today!

Aug 27, 2021
First computer: Apple IIc, shared with my dad. Currently an early 2015 Macbook Pro with 8 Gb memory that I want to upgrade. No such luck. I will be keeping on keeping on for a while, waiting for new chip to sort itself out, programs to be comfortably ensconced, etc. Planning to upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina.
As you can tell, not a professional, at least not any longer.

Aug 28, 2021
I am retired and have interests in Home Automation, Backup Solutions, Windows laptops, Macbooks for my family, Android phones, Chromebooks and conversions of old Chrombooks, Ubuntu, Security Solutions and VPNs to name a few areas of interest. I also try to learn languages with software with limited success. I am working on strategies to integrate multiple technologies for improved living.

JMC75

Commendable
Aug 29, 2021
Hi all, new to the forum, but participate in a lot of chatter on Windows central, zdnet, thurrott, etc. I'm an unashamed Microsoft fan (even through the Windows phone, band, groove missteps) and love following all things surface.

Sep 15, 2021
hy all, i think this is my first forum :D
I like to call my self a home made engineer
I like electronics, 3d modeling, and 3d printing
fell free to ask me anything :D i hope i can help this comunity, olso find my help

Sep 21, 2021
Hello Everyone!

You can call me PBMaxx. I have been involved in PCs since the TRS-80 (Radio Shack) but I still need assistance from time to time. I'm usually more helpful than I need help so I'll try lending a hand whenever I can. I love gimp and Linux in general but I'm far from where I need to be, skill-wise, with either. I don't usually have time to chit-chat but I will on occasion.

Sep 21, 2021
Hi Community,
Computers and I go back a long way, but mostly software involvement - wrote my first FORTRAN programin 1966.
I have built a few PCs over the years, and can do some fault-finding.
I am a weather enthusiast

Cheers, bigharps

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 17, 2021
Hello! I've been directed to introduce myself here, so that's what I'm doing even though it doesn't look like many people do that here. Anyway, I made an account because I'm trying to stop my husband's laptop from only searching via yahoo search. It's so weird, no matter what we do, his laptop only searches this way. I don't know how to remove whatever malware this is and no antivirus has ever found a problem. We're currently trying Cylance. Please feel free to give me advice, because I'm not tecnically inclined. Ok, no idea what else to say in my introduction, so thank you for reading!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hello! I've been directed to introduce myself here, so that's what I'm doing even though it doesn't look like many people do that here. Anyway, I made an account because I'm trying to stop my husband's laptop from only searching via yahoo search. It's so weird, no matter what we do, his laptop only searches this way. I don't know how to remove whatever malware this is and no antivirus has ever found a problem. We're currently trying Cylance. Please feel free to give me advice, because I'm not tecnically inclined. Ok, no idea what else to say in my introduction, so thank you for reading!
Start a thread here to get more feedback from members:

Oct 24, 2021
Hello everyone. Long-time review reader here. Never been on the forum, but I feel like Tom's Guide is one of the few sites I can trust for reliable tech reviews so I wanted to create an account here finally.

I've been using computers since I was like 5 (~1996), but I didn't start dabbling with hardware until around 2007 or so and destroyed my laptop trying to upgrade the RAM so I could get a few more fps in Guild Wars. I was completely clueless. I bought the wrong kind of RAM, and instead of returning it I thought I'd just expand the notch with a nail file so it would line up properly. I put it in the computer, and it never booted up again. That's when I figured out I needed to learn PC stuff.

Then my uncle gave me a Dell XPS desktop (he was a tech guy and had upgraded to a newer model) which I loaded up with viruses. I didn't have a Windows disk to start over and I was a teenager, I didn't want to tell my parents I screwed up the computer, and there was no way I was paying for Windows XP, so I got into Ubuntu for a while until I graduated high school and my parents bought me a new laptop. I'm a big Linux and Open Source fan but there's always been specific software I needed Windows for so I could never fully make the switch.

I've worked in IT since 2010, and I was mostly a Windows/Linux user. I used to be a huge Google/Android fan before I started becoming more privacy-conscious. I had bought some Apple stuff here and there (had an iMac in 2011 and an iPhone 5s in 2014), but have always preferred the openness, customization, and serviceability of non-Apple products. That is, until after working in tech support for a while and developing a pretty strong hatred of Google and dislike for Microsoft, and I've kind of lost the joy in messing with hardware and customization in my free time. I still love gadgets and accessories, but as far as computers go I just crave simplicity now.

I've had an iPhone 12 Pro, Apple Watch 6, and Airpods Pro for a several months now and I've tried out other phones and accessories like the Galaxy S21 Ultra and Galaxy Watch Active 2, I just ended up returning them. I was really impressd by the M1 chip that came out last year, but I still couldn't bring myself to get one because of the lack of I/O. But now that Apple has brought back standard ports and MagSafe in the new MacBook Pro, I decided to order one. My goal is to move from tech support to iOS or web development within a year.

Oct 29, 2021
I am a new member from QC Canada looking for help in setting up a new cell phone. Made carreer in Electronic Data Processing technical support (NCR and IBM) now retired.

Nov 12, 2021
Hi, thanks everyone for being here. I retired recently and am writing an animated story, it requires cheap solutions almost every step along the way.
Love tech, but don't know a thing. Have fun!