What are the most reliable Laptop brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve007

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
my sister needs a laptop and i barley know anything about laptops.

i just want to know what are the most reliable Brands.

She basicaly just watches Movies on the web use Microsoft office and other minor stuff so i suppose any 600$ laptop should do. but we need a reliable brand.

Thanks for your help

Solution
Major brand names (HP, Dell, Gateway, Acer, Samsung, Lenovo, ASUS, etc) are the best way to go. I would look at two things when buying a laptop:
1) If there is a problem - where does it get fixed. If there are no local repair shops, the laptop has to be shipped back to the manufacturer, where it could be MIA for 6-8 weeks) - so check to see who does local warranty repair in your area. This also goes for upgrades - see who can do that in your area.
2) Read consumer reviews of the individual laptop models - a good brand name doesn't mean all of their models are top notch. Take the reviews with a grain of salt, as many consumers will purchase something, screw things up, and then blame the manufacturer.

HP and Dell both sell Laptops...

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Major brand names (HP, Dell, Gateway, Acer, Samsung, Lenovo, ASUS, etc) are the best way to go. I would look at two things when buying a laptop:
1) If there is a problem - where does it get fixed. If there are no local repair shops, the laptop has to be shipped back to the manufacturer, where it could be MIA for 6-8 weeks) - so check to see who does local warranty repair in your area. This also goes for upgrades - see who can do that in your area.
2) Read consumer reviews of the individual laptop models - a good brand name doesn't mean all of their models are top notch. Take the reviews with a grain of salt, as many consumers will purchase something, screw things up, and then blame the manufacturer.

HP and Dell both sell Laptops with bundled software - so you can get Microsoft Office at a discount if that is what she needs (check to see the components she will use like Word, Excel, Power Point, etc - and make sure they have that component included in the bundle).

If Microsoft Office isn't necessary (i.e. Libra Office is a free word processor, spreadsheet and more) - save the bucks there - Office can be as high as $500+ for their professional versions.

Solution

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Haha. You will have to buy MS Word. Or you can use, free alternatives of Word, like LibreOffice.

Anyway, Go for Lenovo, you won't regret.

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

this. to be honest, the life expectancy of a laptop isn't all that great, as hardware components like the trackpad/clicker or Internal wireless adapter tends to go out after 2-3 years or so. Then there's the wear and tear it gets off of being carried around to and from home. Acer, Asus, Lenovo and Dell are solid brands to get.

I personally have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro I purchased brand new. it's been 3.5 years and it's still working as new with the battery life still stellar (still on the original battery and never replaced it). Apple's build quality is exceptional and the construction is built to last, but is much more pricey compared to their PC counterparts.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I have an HP Laptop (celeron with 1GB RAM) that I purchased in 2003....still working 11 years later - the only down fall has been the battery died several times (replacements purchased on e-Bay). My grandson uses it now....so that 2-3 year life expectancy isn't always accurate. I have found technology dictates updates before I have to replace the items...

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Your mileage may vary based on how well you take care of your system. 2-3 years is pretty average for a computers' lifespan. My Gateway laptop from 10 years ago still works, but my wireless adapter, few keyboard keys, trackpad and clicker don't work. Battery can't hold a charge either. Laptops nowadays are cheaper than they used to be, as a decently equipped laptop for everyday basic use are around $300 compared to $600 from 10-11 years ago.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Acc. to your budget, you should go for Lenovo Y-series (Y410P/Y510P). They are powerful multimedia laptops.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/

Status
Not open for further replies.