What can I sell from this laptop?

Mateous

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
So my friend has an Acer aspire 5742, which me and him wanted to clean from the inside. We opened everything up, cleaned it with spray dusters, and closed it. The problem is that the static energy probably burnt down its component and it wasnt able to boot up anymore. Now we want to sell its components on ebay, but we are not sure what we can sell and at what kind of price are we looking at. We have 2x2GB of ram, and this is the first thing we want to sell. For how much should we sell it?

Also, if the laptop has been statically burnt, is there a possibility that the HDD still works?

Solution
Why do you assume static killed it? After taking it apart to clean, and then not booting, I'd first suspect something is not connected correctly.

To sell? The screen, RAM, the HDD will work elsewhere if you take it out.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Why do you assume static killed it? After taking it apart to clean, and then not booting, I'd first suspect something is not connected correctly.

To sell? The screen, RAM, the HDD will work elsewhere if you take it out.

Solution

Mateous

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

Well, we opened it again to check everything and found out that everything was connected correctly. We then went to the Currys store (where my friend bought the laptop from) and they checked it for us. They also assumed that its the static.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Currys has a vested interest in saying something is 'broken'. Especially something expensive like the motherboard.
I'd verify again before writing it off.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Out of thousands of parts...hundreds of PC's over the last few decades...I've killed exactly zero parts due to static.

Mateous

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

Then how can we verify it? We didnt really open what's inside under the metal plate of the keyboard as we didn't really want to disconnect any cable. We sprayed the hell out of the dust that was inside the cpu fan, a little bit around it and then closed it. The power button didn't work so we opened everything up again to check - it was all alright. We tried discharging it by holding the power button but nothing.

beyondlogic

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

did you remove the battery before doing anything to it

Mateous

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

Pretty late response but nevermind. Yes, we did remove the battery. My friend gave that laptop to a guy who told him he can repair it, and so he did. It's all working, thanks though!