What can i upgrade in my laptop

3ddawn

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hello everyone & thank you for this opportunity
I am a video editor & i lack knowledge in hardware field! so i really need assistance from professionals.
PS : i know i am a noob at this guys so no need to remind me :pt1cable:
i have a laptop that i do some hardcore video editing & 3D ON it.
It's the dell inspiron 3521
I want to know is there any i can upgrade beside RAM up to 16 GB and the hardrive!
Here are the specs :
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition ‎(X64)‎ Service Pack 1
Processor
Intel Core i7 3667U clocked at 2 GHz
Number of cores: 2 physical, 4 logical
Processor socket: Socket 988B rPGA
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 018DYG A02
Serial number (motherboard): .60P82X1.CN1296636Q0038.
SKU Number: xxx123x#ABA
Bios version: A07
Date: 4/18/2013
Chip set
Northbridge : Intel Ivy Bridge
Revision ID: 09
Southbridge : Intel HM76
Revision ID: 04
Memory
4 GB total memory type DDR3
Memory timing: 11.0 clocks-11 clocks-11 clocks-28 clocks-1 TT
Memory chip Samsung from 4 GB
Maximum frequency: 800 MHz
Max bandwidth: PC3-12800
Graphics card
AMD Radeon (TM) HD 8500M/8700M
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
DirectX version installed: 11.0
Multimedia cards

Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller

Solution
Yep. Basically the only things you can upgrading in a laptop is RAM and the hard drive / solid state drive.

Note, that in some ultrabooks the RAM is soldered directly onto the motherboard and there is no additional empty slot. In this case the RAM is not upgradeable.

In some cases the CPU can be upgraded, but just because a particular CPU can physically fit in the socket, it is the BIOS that ultimately determines if the CPU is compatible or not. If the CPU does not exist in the BIOS list then the laptop may not even boot up, or if it does then the CPU will perform at it's lowest speeds.

In very, very rare cases the dedicated graphics card can be upgraded. However, this is mostly limited to gaming laptops which starts at $1,400+ and...

AMD-FX

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
When it comes to laptops there's not much else to upgrade besides RAM and the HDD. Possibly the graphics card but it might be soldered into the motherboard.

You may be able to upgrade the CPU as it looks like it's a PGA socket, but I can't say for certain as upgrade restrictions can also fall on the BIOS and what it supports. Honestly though, even if you upgraded to, say, a 3630qm i7, you're not going to see a big leap in performance, and the cost will probably not be justified.

The video card: maybe. If your system uses a MXM card, you have some hope, although there is still the issue of firmware (similar to the CPU and BIOS limitation).

Yep. Basically the only things you can upgrading in a laptop is RAM and the hard drive / solid state drive.

Note, that in some ultrabooks the RAM is soldered directly onto the motherboard and there is no additional empty slot. In this case the RAM is not upgradeable.

In some cases the CPU can be upgraded, but just because a particular CPU can physically fit in the socket, it is the BIOS that ultimately determines if the CPU is compatible or not. If the CPU does not exist in the BIOS list then the laptop may not even boot up, or if it does then the CPU will perform at it's lowest speeds.

In very, very rare cases the dedicated graphics card can be upgraded. However, this is mostly limited to gaming laptops which starts at $1,400+ and only for specific models. It is possible to buy a $3,000 gaming laptop and not have the ability to upgrade the GPU.

Solution

3ddawn

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Thank you for your great detailed answer sir!
Kind regards
Ahmed