What CPU stress tests do you do to check temps?

jpe1701

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Hi everyone,
I recently changed cases and reapplied paste to the CPU cooler necessitating a recheck of my temps. I used Intel burn test, prime95 v26.6, and the CPU-z stress test and I didn't exceed 63c. I am wondering what programs others used or what they do to validate a cooler install?

MeanMachine41

Estimable
May 8, 2014
Hi jpe1701 :)

Download AIDA64 and HWInfo monitor and put them side by side on your desktop.
AIDA64 is trial software for a month and will give you all the info you need re: temps and voltages.
AIDA64 will also test your sub-systems ie: GPU, Disks and memory.

jpe1701

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
I thought about Aida64 but I thought I remembered in the past that it installed components that couldn't be easily uninstalled, am I remembering incorrectly? I have Hw monitor to check temps, is that the one or are you referring to a different program?

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
The basics of all home brewery, is to taste before, and then adjust.

So, download Intels LinPack memory and CPU stress test.
It is very demanding, so make sure that Your CPU cooler is working well.

1. There are a special edition which I recommend of this Intel LinPack called LinX
Download LinX http://linx.en.lo4d.com/

2. It does not matter where You put it, it contains no installation files, just name a directory like LinX and save it there.

3. You will also need too keep an close eye to the temperatures and therefore
download and install HWMonitor (free) http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
To the left download the free version.
Obs! during installation make sure that you untick any third part s/w. I always recommend this procedure no matter what on any free s/w. Ok.

Then, in the HWmonitor window there are three columns:
Value= shows the actual readings from all the sensors including temperatures and voltage
Min and max speaks for itself.

4. restart your computer.

5. Wait for at least 3-4 minutes until the system stabilize itself.

6. Start HwMonitor, move the window to the right side of the monitor, adjust the size.
Example:
Hw_Monitor.jpg

7. Start LinX

8. In the window, move it to the left side and adjust.

9. LinX and this is just an example from my old SandyBridge 2600K OC, but the principle is the very same:
The menu looks like this:
image.png

10. Then next step:
image.png

You will to have to click in the upper area, where it says: Memory : All
It will then use the remaining memory for the test.

11. Then chose 20 times and click Run.
12. Test is very demanding and do no even touch Your mouse nor keyboard, but keep close control on the temperatures.
And make sure before, that your monitor will not switch off - due to energy saving things. Turn of all such - before.

13. When everything is done, then in the right column where it says 'Residual (Norm) all numbers must be equal to The numbers in the that column and to the left where it says Residual all numbers must be equal in that column.

If there is a problem, an error with red text will occur, shut down the PC, restart and Enter BIOS-setup and lower the timings, first try to lower their speed (frequency).

15. Run the test again.

Good luck from Sweden

MeanMachine41

Estimable
May 8, 2014

AIDA64 does not install anything unwanted however make sure you get it from here: https://www.aida64.com/downloads
Get the self extracting .exe.
CPUid HWMonitor is OK too, I use both to make comparisons however don't use two monitoring tools together to avoid erroneous readings. There are many tools for temperature. Realtemp, Coretemp, and some don't read sensors correctly depending on your system.
Try all the one's recommended and make up your own mind which benefits you the best. :)

jpe1701

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015

Yeah it's free. That was my poor way of making a joke. I downloaded it and am going to try it after I give Aida64 a go. Thank you for helping.

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Btw, Intel Linpack (LinX) also works on AMD, its is primarily a memory stress test and it uses the memory controller to its maximum and therefore the cpu itself will have some load, but it is not a cpu stress test.

Especially important to run if one have mixed memory´s from different vendor or just different memory´s.
Best regards from Sweden :ange:

jpe1701

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
So I tried Aida64 and OCCT. OCCT really pushed my CPU hard. The max package temp was 78 for a second a bunch of times. I only let it go a half hour but it made me nervous. The others never went above 64. I was now thinking about using some Noctua paste instead of the Cryorig stuff but really I'll never push my cpu that hard. Gaming is the hardest thing it would see, some very light video rendering once in a while.

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Well 78 C is not that important regarding AIDA64. But that temp should never be in normal circumstance on game playing att full load.
So I'm not concerned about this. Now we now at least that the CPU doesn't get overheated.
- Remember it is a stress test which never occur in any normal use and that also goes for the temps!
How about LinX?

[Edit] Btw. What CPU was it again?

jpe1701

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015

Sorry it's 2:16am here so I'm going to try it out tomorrow. Thanks again for your help and I will report back tomorrow with my temps. Hopefully they will be fine.

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Intel i7 6700K has a Tcase of 64 C
Meaning a temperature above this will have the processor cores to throttling, going down in speed to try to make it cooler.
Your stress test or any stress test for that matter will certainly go way beyond that so I m not troubled with that.

Now, next step is Intel Linpack or LinX if this get the temps anywhere near as before, you have a problem.
Otherwise No problem.
Best regards from Sweden

jpe1701

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015

I have 3016. I just checked and I do need to update. Thank you.

Flyfisherman

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I think its okay. But You can start HW Monitor and have it running in the background, then start a heavy game or something, run it for at least 15 minutes or moore, then switch to HW monitor: in the Max column it will say the maximum temp that has been reached. If this is well above 60C then you have a cooling problem with the cpu.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING-AURA/HelpDesk_Download/
Latest Bios Version 3401 - 2017/04/21
1.Improve system stability
2.Enhance system compatibility

The Bios ver. nr. is in the top of the first Bios Setup menu.

If you are going to update Bios
1. Download the latest Bios Version. It is a .zip-file.
2. Put a Flash (USB) stick in one of the USB 2.0 ports at the back of the computer, right click in Explorer and format it to FAT-32
3. Dubbel click on the zipfile and extract the Bios-file onto the flash stick
4. Restart the computer and immateriality go in to Bios Setup
5. In Bios setup menu > Advanced mode >> EZ Update
6 Click Update button > and then click Flash from the USB-stick
7. This will take a while, dont touch anything, the computer will restart and come back to this menu.
8. After its done, check Boot priority of of your drives > [F10] save and exit.

Best regards from Sweden