What do I need to output 24bit/96KHz to my headphone

Ching1202

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Hi all. I have a concert MKV file which contain DTS 24/96 audio format, but when I played it on PowerDVD15, it said the output is "LPCM 16/48". So I wonder What do I need to play the "correct" sound quality to my headphone.

I do not have a sound card. I'm using the PC onboard chipset for audio, I remember it said it can support up to 24/192, so I don't know what problem is this.

Solution
Try playing it with Mediamonkey which supports high resolution audio playback (for music anyway). The free version is fine. JRiver Media Center is excellent too but not free,
http://www.mediamonkey.com/
You will have to configure it to play correctly,
As for whether you will hear the difference you can decide for yourself. Many people find that it does make a difference but it certainly depends on how good your headphones are.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
96/24 doesn't sound better than 48/16 under normal conditions. Your cat or dog can hear the benefits of 96kHz sampling rate though since it can contain sound with frequencies of up to 48kHz. 48kHz sampling rate can contain frequencies up to 24kHz while humans can hear up to 20kHz

It actually can increase the amount of harmonic distortion a bit by making the speaker try to produce ultra sonic sounds that you can't hear anyways.

Ching1202

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Really? When can I hear the difference? I just want it to play what exactly the original audio is :s

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
The only time you'll hear a difference is if you are trying to hear it. Assuming the noise floor of your audio equipment is low enough, During very very quiet instances, You may be able to hear the noise floor of 16bit depth audio if you intentionally turn your volume very high during those instances.

Just don't worry about it. You won't hear a difference under normal situations.

Try playing it with Mediamonkey which supports high resolution audio playback (for music anyway). The free version is fine. JRiver Media Center is excellent too but not free,
http://www.mediamonkey.com/
You will have to configure it to play correctly,
As for whether you will hear the difference you can decide for yourself. Many people find that it does make a difference but it certainly depends on how good your headphones are.

Solution